3rd Bunny won't use liter box no matter what

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anthony707

Reaction score
I feel like I've made a lot of post on this site relating to liter boxes over the last few years. I have three bunnies, 2 female and 1 male. All of them are spayed/neutered. Once I finally got them all bonded, which was possibly the hardest thing ive ever done in my life, I tried to liter train all 3 of them again the way I did the first 2. I put all of them in an excercise pen with like 4-5 liter boxes and slowly removed one until they used just one. But I noticed once I did that the newest third one, Bunny C we can say, just wouldnt use it the way they would. She would still use it but, then also pee all over my bed or poop all over the floor still. I noticed eventually that the first female was being a little aggresive towards her, so I thought maybe she was being pushed out of the liter box. I got her another big one all to herself and moved it away from them but it hasn't changed anything. She still pees and poops all over the floor. I'm assuming its just territorial but it honestly feels like shes just doing this to get on my nerves now, even though she is the sweetest of the 3! I figured maybe I should move it to the opposite side of my room where it would be more of "her" area? Right now there is a big gap between the 2, in opposite corners on the same wall. Thank you for any advice, I really appreciate it.Snapchat-1568161472.jpg

Here is what the setup looks like now (cleaned up so i dont look so messy lol)
I do change their liter box about once or twice a week, and give them hay every day.

I hate having her in this pen!! I want her to be out like the rest!

If they are all 3 bonded, then you cannot separate her from the other 2. Doing so can break the bond.

Her litter habits are a separate issue. If your desire is for the 3 to remain bonded, then all 3 must be together (not separated by a pen). If she needs to be confined to a smaller space, then the other 2 need to be in that space with her.

How long have they been fully bonded?

If 'C' is dropping poos in the shared area, that is likely her trying to claim territory. In that case, it should subside in time as she gets used to sharing that space with the other 2 buns. It may just be taking her a bit longer to get the idea that it is all shared space.

Peeing on the bed is something else. That is something that some buns find irresistible. The softness of the bed/blankets are just too much temptation for peeing on. The only solution to that is to keep her off the bed.

Peeing on the hard floor is a different issue. That sounds more like she isn't fully trained. [either that or she has a urinary infection -- that usually shows as small piddles that are dribbled everywhere instead of a big puddle] If she isn't fully trained, then it's back to square one with the litter boxes and removing them only as she remains consistent.

How long have they been fully bonded?

If 'C' is dropping poos in the shared area, that is likely her trying to claim territory. In that case, it should subside in time as she gets used to sharing that space with the other 2 buns. It may just be taking her a bit longer to get the idea that it is all shared space.

Peeing on the bed is something else. That is something that some buns find irresistible. The softness of the bed/blankets are just too much temptation for peeing on. The only solution to that is to keep her off the bed.

Peeing on the hard floor is a different issue. That sounds more like she isn't fully trained. [either that or she has a urinary infection -- that usually shows as small piddles that are dribbled everywhere instead of a big puddle] If she isn't fully trained, then it's back to square one with the litter boxes and removing them only as she remains consistent.
I probably should of assumed as much. I figured she was being pushed away. I'll put them back together, they haven't been bonded too long, 2 months maybe? I think I'm just rushing my expectations instead of letting their bunny hierarchy sort itself out and establish dominance/territory. I'll have to resort to square one and just get a bunch of boxes ready to get them. I think with the other 2 the liter procress was almost instant after a few days that I may just be expecting it to be the same for her

Latest posts

Back