30 inch exercise pen escape

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a flemish rabbit. She is 3 1/2 months old and pretty large. Yesterday she jumped very high, close to 2 feet it seemed. This morning I put her in her Xpen outside on the deck right by our door. I looked out and she wasn't there! 30 inches cleared somehow! She was right by the steps and didn't run. Scared me.1589979911602.png

My rabbit is a 6.5lb little acrobat. I learned the hard way that she can clear 36" with little issues.

Thank goodness she just hung out by the steps! Perhaps 40-48" pen would be better since Flemish can be quite large.

My lionhead rabbit was similar age when she managed to jump over 29 inch bed headboard and got stuck between bed and wall.. and gave me a hart attack. One moment she was standing next to me, the other she disappeared. I would never thought that she can actually jum this high. That is the reason why now i like to put a bell collar on her, so that i would know where she is if she tries to get herself in a similar situation 😁
Best to find some xpen cover 🙂

My lionhead rabbit was similar age when she managed to jump over 29 inch bed headboard and got stuck between bed and wall.. and gave me a hart attack. One moment she was standing next to me, the other she disappeared. I would never thought that she can actually jum this high. That is the reason why now i like to put a bell collar on her, so that i would know where she is if she tries to get herself in a similar situation 😁
I would have had a heart attack too. A bell collar sounds like a good idea for your rabbit. I will see what I can find some type of cover that is secure.

I would have had a heart attack too. A bell collar sounds like a good idea for your rabbit. I will see what I can find some type of cover that is secure.
Sometimes you can find special xpen covers or shades to buy online, sadly i couldn't find one for mine, so now as a temporary solution i put a wood board on top😁

Hehe I don't have any experience like this. My rabbit doesn't even try to jump out of her 24" x pen. Maybe I'm just lucky.
Definitely lucky 😁 sometimes it feels like i'm own a cat because she tries to jump somewhere as high as possible and sits there. I mean how comfortable can be an chair backrest?

Definitely lucky 😁 sometimes it feels like i'm own a cat because she tries to jump somewhere as high as possible and sits there. I mean how comfortable can be an chair backrest?

Must be. I put a large cardboard box in there that was like a foot high. I watched her hop on it and look around and she didn't even jump out.

NO BELL COLLARS PLEASE. Putting any kind of collar on a rabbit is dangerous. If a collar were to snag on something a rabbit will panic to escape and could easily break a neck or back.
Having a noisy bell on a collar would surely be a constant irritation to a rabbit with its acute hearing. It would be so loud and constant -- I know it would drive me crazy.

NO BELL COLLARS PLEASE. Putting any kind of collar on a rabbit is dangerous. If a collar were to snag on something a rabbit will panic to escape and could easily break a neck or back.
Having a noisy bell on a collar would surely be a constant irritation to a rabbit with its acute hearing. It would be so loud and constant -- I know it would drive me crazy.
It is small kitten breakaway buckle, which opens up very easily, so no way to break a neck. What i didn't know that it can be too loud, because she doesn't seem to mind it.

It is small kitten breakaway buckle, which opens up very easily, so no way to break a neck. What i didn't know that it can be too loud, because she doesn't seem to mind it.

I would definitely stay away from a collar, even a breakaway. Rabbit are strong enough to break their own backs if they panic and kick really hard, not to mention they can be killed by such a big scare and the strain on the heart. i don't even think collars are generally a good idea on a cat... the release only has to catch or fail once and it's game over.

I would definitely stay away from a collar, even a breakaway. Rabbit are strong enough to break their own backs if they panic and kick really hard, not to mention they can be killed by such a big scare and the strain on the heart. i don't even think collars are generally a good idea on a cat... the release only has to catch or fail once and it's game over.
Thank you for the info. Anyway i was using it rarely, only at the beginning because she used to squeeze herself in places i wouldn't think to look. Now i use it very rarely. I guess i will stop using them.🙂

My rabbit is a 6.5lb little acrobat. I learned the hard way that she can clear 36" with little issues.

Thank goodness she just hung out by the steps! Perhaps 40-48" pen would be better since Flemish can be quite large.
I will see what I can find. I really wanted a dog run and cover it to protect her from predators but it will not be happening at this house.

Please don't put collars on bunnies. It's very dangerous and stressful.

Latest posts

Back