3 month old keeps chewing baseboards

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am a newbee to this forum as we just recently had our bunny come into our home. He's about 3 months old and we've had him for about a month and a half. For the most part he's been good but lately he has been chewing our baseboards that we had just plastered and painted so we'll have to do it again.

Thanks @Mariam+Theo for your suggestion she mentioned to use pine boards. Curious if there are any other suggestions or if this is "normal".

His surroundings are our living room and kitchen and from time to time he's able to go into our family room and our basement. All hardwood floors except the living room will have a rug soon (not sure yet).

Thanks and looking forward to connecting with all the bunny lovers out there.

Completly normal. You'll have to bunnyprove your home.

Not all rabbits do it, and somed can be distracted with more yummy stuff to chew on, like tree branches from apple, ash, willow and so on, but chewing is a completly normal rabbit behaviour.

Completly normal. You'll have to bunnyprove your home.

Not all rabbits do it, and somed can be distracted with more yummy stuff to chew on, like tree branches from apple, ash, willow and so on, but chewing is a completly normal rabbit behaviour.

Thank you. I'll look into the tree branches as well.

Neutering can help. Hormones can cause excessive destructive chewing.

Picture
BEFORE: Rubbing ivory soap on baseboards can deter chewing... but not always...

Picture
AFTER: One easy solution is to simply tac a 1 x 3 to the existing baseboard. Plain, untreated pine can be chewed on without harm to bunny or your baseboards.

1593129118093.png

Loved the last pic. Rabbits were born to chew. We put tile down in the bunny room and had them do the base also in tile. The sliding doors and trim around the door have not fared well but the rest is alright. Our 3 month old Great Dane chewed thru the wall in the laundry room (sheetrock) and started on the 2X4's so I had to put up sheets of 1/2" plywood and the trim got chewed up to over 3 feet. Animals, why I'm so good at home repair and painting!

Picture

Picture
AFTER: One easy solution is to simply tac a 1 x 3 to the existing baseboard. Plain, untreated pine can be chewed on without harm to bunny or your baseboards.

View attachment 48978
Wow well I know what I am doing this weekend. Thanks. I

When our rabbit was young we blocked tasty areas with cardboard or metal grid nic panels that I zip tied together and we would distract with an apple stick so he would have an appropriate chew. Eventually he stopped bothering the trim. We only have a couple nibbled spots ( don't tell my husband). We also give him lots of cardboard in corners for him to dig on and remodel

Attachments

• IMG_20200307_085918_224.jpg
    IMG_20200307_085918_224.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 0
I have a bun that wouldn't stop chewing baseboards, trim, and even eating holes in the wall. Took me ages, but one day discovered he was after salt/minerals. Gave him a mineral block, no more trouble.

Rabbits chew and this may not have anything to do with your bun, but it's worth a try.

Picture

Picture

View attachment 48978

this might be a dumb question but did you nail the pine boards to the baseboards?

Latest posts

Back