3 legged bunny....

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GoinBackToCali

Reaction score
I posted several months back about the show Cali who had the severely broken leg, and ended up with me. Russell ended up putting some some rods and pins in, but I think due to the severity of the break, and where it was, it just never healed right, and we were constantly having to monitor it, keep it clean and debrided, and him on antibiotics. For his age, an almost year old Cali, he is the size of a 5 to 6 month old.

I honestly expected everyday to wake up and find him dead. He use to be Bruce Lee, because he looked like he was doing a karate Kick with his cast then splint..but I took to calling him Sweetness cause his cage is right next to my bedroom, and I see him when I get up, and when I go to bed.."Good Morning Sweetness"...and "Good Night Sweetness"..with nose pets, ear rubs and a kiss.

3 weeks ago he really started gnawing on the leg..so we took him in to see Russell's dad. The leg was removed. There were a couple of days he looked rather rough, and again I expected him to pass, so I layered on the treats, but his appetite was voracious, so amazingly, he perked up after about 3 days..he didn't want to be touched for about a week..now its back to nose nudgings and ear rubs..

And running..jeebus.. who knew a 3 legged rabbit could haul tail like that. I will get some video of it for you all.

I hope I am not tempting fate by posting about him, because I have posted about bunnies in the past, and then.. well yanno.. but I just had to share!

I will say, the moving stump kinda weirds me out thou..

thanks for sharing, it sounds like he is a fighter! I have a boy with two splayed legs and he is a handsome happy snuggle bunny. he doesn't know that he is different.

sounds like you are giving him a happy home :)

I know it's way different but I have a three-legged dog. She does really well and runs just as fast as her father who has four legs.

t.:pinkbouce:

You could teach him to skate and have a new derby mascot?

Just kidding - hope he does well for you.

I no this is completely different but my mom has a 3 legged cat well technically it has 4 legs but 1 leg doesn't work its a birth defect it had its hip bone doesn't touch its leg bone but he runs a lot faster then her 4 legged cat and gets around just fine. I hope your rabbit is doing well

I have been eyeing up a beautiful Harlequin on PetFinder who is missing a leg. Any problems with caring for a handi-capable bun like this? I just wonder about the bunner's senior years and joint pain from having to compensate for the lost limb.

myheart

I have a 7month old bunny, Roscoe, who has 3 legs. He lost his leg at 4 months old. He doesn't have a stump. The whole thing is gone. Him and his sister are bonded and they are great bunnies. :)

Edit: their in my avatar. Roscoe on left, Suzi on right

Latest posts

Back