3 concerns

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scubagirl68

Reaction score
1) My 5-month-old lionhead rabbit will NOT stop trying to get under my bed. I have it pretty much blocked off with boxes and clever pillow/blanket placement, yet she always finds some clever way to get under. It is really frustrating, and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on how to permanently block off the area? garden fencing or something?
2) I gave my rabbit a little carboard box to sleep/play in..and she just TEARS it to shreds. I'm fairly certain that she is ingesting some of the cardboard, but I'm not sure if this is hazardous.. there is some ink on it, but it is the box I took her home in from the pet store, so I'm not sure if it is animal-safe.
3)Sometimes I have to hold my rabbit to put her in her cage (I know you're supposed to let them go in by themselves, but sometimes she's a bit difficult and it is necessary) and she squirms a lot, I'm afraid of hurting her fragile spine. Any suggestions?

Depnding on how tall your underbed space is....I used cinderblocks to block it off. Couldn't dig or chew through those!

As for cardboard boxes, my buns love them, and I haven't had any problems so far. It's good excercise. The best toys in life are free.

As for holding your bunny, there are several good resources that show the proper method. The key is to be certain your rabbits hind legs and hips are supported and immobilized so the can't kick out and break their back.

Hope this helps! Congrats on your new bunny!

I have used NIC "organize it" cubes purchased from Target to keep my rabbit out from under my bed. I attached them to the bed frame with zip ties which has worked out great. They can even be hidden by a bedskirt if need be.As far as carrying your rabbit to the cage, I completely agree with Zarzamora but I also try placing my hand just in front of my rabbits eyes, not on them, just in front of them as it has stopped her squirming when I place her gently in the cage. It was explained to me by someone on this site that rabbits are afraid of heights so holding her close to me when I carry her helps as well.good luck, hope this helps.

Hi, is there any problem with the bunny getting under the bed? My bunnies love running about under there - maybe it resembles a warren? If you have things stored under there then that's fair enough but if there's nothing under there you could let your bunny have a wander about. Most bunnies will go under there for a sit down but will come out eventually.

My bunnies eat cardboard too and I sometimes worry about this but it's never caused them any problems.

I'd love to just let her run around down there, but unfortunately that's where I hid all the electrical cords, and I'm afraid she will chew them. Also, it's a bit of a problem if she won't come out, and if I need to leave the house. I let her go underneath my dresser though.

My bunny runs under the bed, too, but usually she'll just poop and thump! She'll eventually get bored, and dart out of the room. As for the cardboard box, my bun chews and chin rubs on hers. Not a problem. If she's really ripping it, I'd give her a substitute (paper bag-towel roll) even a crunchy celery stick or 1/2 carrot. As for going into her cage..my bun goes in with the pavlonian training...When she hears me shake the special treat box (only used at this most crucial time), she'll circle round my feet, than I'll let her see the treat in my hand, smell it, than I'll lift the top of her cage up, she'll hop in, and her reward is (always) that treat immediately after hopping in. No Problem. Hope it works for you!

If I didn't have cardboard shredded all over my familyroom, I'd think something was wrong with Bo. :?;)

Latest posts

Back