3 babies with scabs (HELP)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mjd

Reaction score
Hello ,

I adopted two female rabbits Lemon and Carrot both 6 months old unfortunately when I went to the vet to get them spayed they were both pregnant 😢 and after 3 weeks they both gave birth and after giving birth they started fighting (Lemon is more aggressive ) so I separated them into two big cages indoor and I let them play for 4 hours outside separately. Today I went to check on them and I found a scabs over all 3 of Carrot babies and none on Lemon babies.

my questions are
1- when can I get them spayed ? ( both still breastfeed their babies age 30 days)
2- are the scabs caused by bites from the mother or Lemon maybe they escaped and i didn’t know?
3 - is it possible it is mites from playing outside in the garden ?
4 - are both gonna get along after spaying ?
5 - can I give the babies up if they are 30 days old (my friend really want them )?

(I'm sorry for my bad English it is not my native language )
IMG_8529.jpgIMG_8608.PNGIMG_8403.jpgIMG_44CAE09560ED-1.jpeg

Sounds like the mom is getting hormonal with them and trying to hump them. That's where the scabs are coming from, her gripping on with her teeth.

4 weeks isn't really old enough to be weaning, when at all possible. Ideal is 7-8 weeks old. But with her pestering them now, that's also not a good thing.

If she isn't bothering them in their usual inside area and it only happened outside, hormonal territorial behavior can sometimes happen when a rabbit is let out into a different area(like outdoors). So then you may still be able to keep the babies with her but just not let them be outside together with her. You'll just have to see if she is humping them inside and out, or just when you let them outside together.

If she is pestering them all of the time, indoors too, what I would do is separate them from her and remove them to their own space. Or better, move her to a new area and keep them in their familiar space. Then I would just return them to her once in the morning and again in the evening to nurse. This way they still get the benefit of nursing and not being weaned too early, but also won't have mom harassing them by keeping them separated from her the rest of the time.

You can get the momma rabbits spayed when the babies are weaned and done nursing. There's no way to know if two rabbits will get along after they get fixed. Rabbit bonds are all about finding the right match of personalities. Female/female matches can be harder to get to work because female rabbits are often moody and bossy, but it's possible they could get along once spayed and you wait at least 3-4 weeks for hormones to fade before you attempt bonding. Though be aware that in some cases it can take up to 8 weeks for hormones to fade, which means having to wait longer to begin bonding. In the meantime, I would suggest reading up on how to properly bond rabbits. It can sometimes be quite the complex process.

https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/bonding-bunnies.html
http://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Bonding_rabbits_together

Latest posts

Back