3-4 Hours of “Exercise”

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NYAngela

Reaction score
Snowflake is 5 mos (been with us since he’s 8w) he’s a healthy & happy bun. I have read that rabbits should get 3-4 hours of exercise per day. How is this defined? Is it just that they are given access out of their “cage” for 3-4 hours or that they are actively exercising for 3-4 hours?

Snowflake has an xpen (4’x4’) this pen is open from 4am-9pm daily for him to come and go as he pleases. He has access to the whole first floor, stairs and a portion of the upstairs that’s bunny-proofed. He comes out a few times a day exploring, he’ll have some bursts where he’ll run, jump, binkie but mostly he’s just sniffing, chinning, chilling or outright sleeping. He’s definitely not exercising for 3-4 hours! Am I taking the word “exercise” too literal?

Pic of the little guy on a run (he’s quite agile on the wood and also has access to carpeted areas)583010D2-59B3-4F47-B6D0-FAA5FCB78608.jpeg

My buns have their houses open most of the day, and mostly they just lay around the living room... 😂 😂 They're both healthy and happy, and have more than enough time to "exercise" as well. Even their "houses" are large pens in one of my rooms.

So I guess the question is how do you motivate a lazy rabbit to "exercise"? I can't even motivate myself to exercise most days!

My buns have their houses open most of the day, and mostly they just lay around the living room... 😂 😂 They're both healthy and happy, and have more than enough time to "exercise" as well. Even their "houses" are large pens in one of my rooms.

So I guess the question is how do you motivate a lazy rabbit to "exercise"? I can't even motivate myself to exercise most days!

Ok glad to hear I’m not the only one with a lazy bun & I suppose you’re right about motivation god knows I don’t have it! LOL

I think the reason for mentioning a minimum number of hours is so that the buns are given the opportunity to exercise. They don't run around just because they are let out of their cage, as we all can attest. They run around when and if they feel like it. If they happen to feel like it when they are confined to a cage... well then they miss out. So the more time they are out of their enclosure, the better the chance that they will be able to binky when the mood strikes.

I think the reason for mentioning a minimum number of hours is so that the buns are given the opportunity to exercise. They don't run around just because they are let out of their cage, as we all can attest. They run around when and if they feel like it. If they happen to feel like it when they are confined to a cage... well then they miss out. So the more time they are out of their enclosure, the better the chance that they will be able to binky when the mood strikes.

Ok great! Just want to make sure he’s not lacking in “active-ness” He often hops around and binkies in his pen too, even when it’s open!

Latest posts

Back