2019 Cages - add your photo!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
this is my cage! lily has an xl dog crate, is there anything that you guys think can be added/taken away? (yes she’s right by a window but that can’t be changed, the windows always closed and whenever i try to cover it with a blanket she pulls the blanket right down)

I love the toys and soft looking blanket, but I'm a bit worried about the hay at a place where a source of light and warmth can directly touch it. Your hay should stay fresh longer in a darker place, I think.

I love the toys and soft looking blanket, but I'm a bit worried about the hay at a place where a source of light and warmth can directly touch it. Your hay should stay fresh longer in a darker place, I think.
thank you i didn’t know direct light and warmth could affect the hay. it’s starting to get colder and fall is coming so the sun shouldn’t be as bright soon. for now i’ll look for some way to block the sun. i saw you asked about a hidey house, she has a cardboard box that she can hide in but it’s outside of her cage and she can go in it when she’s out to roam. it used to be inside but i felt like it was taking up too much space and she would never really use it to hide.

This is the new cage I just built for my 2 bunnies. The cage is split in the middle so they both have their own space. They each have 2 levels, litter box and hide house. They only spend the night inside, during the day they come and go as they please, I have stairs built for them to go in and out. I elevated the cage to make it easier to clean, and keep them above dog level, the dog doesn't bother them, but they are still scared of her. For those worried about them falling out, I only open 1 of the lower doors, and the stairs are wider than the opening, and have non slip treads.
Wow!

Hi all, first time posting here, though the forums have been a great resource for info. I put a lot of work into my bunny domains for my two rabbits, Theodore and Snuggles, so I will take any chance I can to show them off. First is where they spend the majority of their time (often by choice):

vlycADd.jpg

My basement has a second kitchen not used for anything. It started off barren with a large shoe box or two and the small carrier shown, and for a while I didn't trust them to run around outside those carriers overnight or while I was not around to supervise. For weeks I observed how they would behave, what trouble they would get into, and adjust adjust adjust. It's never perfect. It's always a matter of inspecting regularly for any signs of trouble.

For example, if it looks like they are chewing on a place that I've tried to duct tape together, then I have to put the tape somewhere else. I went through several baby gates. My boy Ajay (who passed two years ago) was really good at escaping this room, and there were times when I didn't think I could make it work. Persistence, patience, vigilance.

I let them out whenever we are home so they can run upstairs and join me, but sometimes I have to cage them up there like if we need to open a door outside or if they need a timeout from carpet chewing. Otherwise, this cage seems to serve more the purpose of making them feel like they have a safe space to run to (they hate the smell of cooking and will hide in the box there).

qhskfzL.jpg

Each year we start a new thread to show off our rabbit cages. Not only is it fun to see everyone's cages, it is also useful for new bunny owners.

Whether you've made a cage out of cube grids, exercise pen, xl dog crate, old furniture or any combination, we'd love to see it!

As always, let's avoid discussion as much as possible. :rolleyes:

We want this thread to be full of photos!

:D :D So let's see your cages!!!! :D :D

A WORD ABOUT CAGE SIZES

"Proper" or "recommended" cage size can be a touchy topic. However I believe all can agree that bigger is always better.

There are varying recommendations by different groups so I will include a few here to give a general feel for some of those recommendations. The sources will be included as well. Generally, these are for indoor house rabbits. The information is included in the spirit of providing the best we can for our bunny companions.

A rabbit needs at least four hours per day of running time inside the house or in a fenced yard, supervised by a human to prevent attack by predators. Our house rabbits are often never caged, but if you find it necessary to keep your rabbit confined while you are away, then be sure the cage is at least 3' x 4' on the floor dimensions, and at least 2' high, so the rabbit can comfortably stand on her haunches to look around. Large breeds (more than 6 lbs.) need an even larger hutch to be comfortable and healthy.
http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/indoorbun.html (by Dana M. Krempels, Ph.D.)

Bigger is better! A rabbit's home should be at least 4-6 times the size of your bunny when he's entirely stretched out - more if he is confined for a large amount of the day. Enclosure sizes also should be decided in conjunction with the amount of exercise time and space the rabbit has. One guideline to go by is at least 8 square feet of enclosure space combined with at least 24 square feet of exercise space, for 1-2 rabbits, in which the rabbit(s) can run and play at least 5 hours per day.
http://rabbit.org/faq-housing/ (House Rabbit Society)

Our recommendations are based on research, where it exists. One thing that all welfare organisations agree on is that A Hutch Is Not Enough. We recommend a minimum area of 10ft x 6ft x 3ft high (3m x 2m x 1m) for a pair of average sized rabbits, regardless if they live indoors or outside.
https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-housing/ (Rabbit Welfare Assoc Fund)

Shared room with my single bunny.

Attachments

• BA938B1B-73E2-4230-8E4C-50F5207B3B0A.jpeg
    BA938B1B-73E2-4230-8E4C-50F5207B3B0A.jpeg
    46.4 KB · Views: 33
  • 8628E086-BA81-4F33-B505-3BC9AFE6E7BA.jpeg
    8628E086-BA81-4F33-B505-3BC9AFE6E7BA.jpeg
    35.8 KB · Views: 31
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back