2019 Cages - add your photo!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Do your bunnies eat the mat? I want to upgrade to an all pink foam mat floor for Bells but I'm worried she may eat it. Do you have any problems with that?
If your bun were to chew it, you could put blankets down to protect her and the mat :)

Here’s my Lionhead’s setup. He’s cage-free most of the day. I only lock him away at night and when I’m not at home. There’s a litter box, hay bin, and water bottle inside (also a bowl of water outside the cage) He goes in/out throughout the day to eat. I change out the litter box daily and fresh hay and water. He's free to roam the living room where he just lays about most of the day. We have hardwood floors so he does prefer to stay where there’s a rug which is in his cage area. On hot days he will lay out on the hardwood floor. And he loves to do zoomies on the sofa. He’s very good at using his litter box so I never have to worry about him running freely. There are occasional poops here and there but I think it's a territorial thing or just accidents but never any pee. I also have a parrot who's cage is right next to his. I have to be careful about Butters getting to the seeds that my parrot drops. So I have a Roomba that runs every morning and night. He doesn't mind the Roomba at all, he just hops out of its way. I did have to bunny-proof the living room well by hiding wires in hard plastic pipes, boards to cover outlets with plugs, black mesh gates to block him from getting behind the tv console. I'm confident enough to be able to leave him in the room unattended. He can get up on the dining table though so we must be sure to keep the chairs pushed in when not in use. Other than that, he just lays around. Like having a cat that hops. :) Aloha!

Attachments

• IMG_7290.jpeg
    IMG_7290.jpeg
    72.3 KB · Views: 227
  • IMG_7293.jpeg
    IMG_7293.jpeg
    112.7 KB · Views: 228
  • IMG_7292.jpeg
    IMG_7292.jpeg
    114.5 KB · Views: 225
  • IMG_7296.jpeg
    IMG_7296.jpeg
    108.3 KB · Views: 205
The bunny condo we purchased for my daughter’s Holland Lop, Bubs. We placed the cage on top of a 4 storage bin unit; for all the bunny supplies He loves his personal space. We bring him out every day to exercise in the Living room. He truly entertains us with all his running around and crazy little binkies.
omg where is this from? it's super cute

The first pic is from her outside hutch. She really doesn't go in there often mostly to relax after grooming and nail trimming just to give her some space after all the stress. The second pic is her inside crate. She is free to roam when I am home unless I'm asleep. So she is really only in there at night and when I'm at work. IMG_20190405_164712.jpgIMG_20190411_210441.jpg

I have an open concept pen where my rabbit run upstairs when he wants to. I have the wire grid shelves to protect the walls and baseboards. My rabbit picked the room that he wanted so we came to a comprise and I worked with it. I'll up load some photos soon.

outdoor set up (top is meshed and surroundings are fox proofed)
Did you build the outdoor set up? It looks very good! Does the rain make the hutch rot? I have a hutch like that and want to put it outside, but I am afraid that it will rot. Do you have something on the floor of the run? Do your rabbits dig out?

Did you build the outdoor set up? It looks very good! Does the rain make the hutch rot? I have a hutch like that and want to put it outside, but I am afraid that it will rot. Do you have something on the floor of the run? Do your rabbits dig out?

Yes I made it with treated timber and lots of mesh. I had wrist strain from using the wood staple gun so much haha. The hutch is fine at the moment - although it is quite a flimsy one. I've bought a roof panel to go over where the hutch is but I haven't fitted it yet. My rabbits don't dig for some reason. When my doe was pregnant she dug one shallow hole but hadn't since. You can create an underground boundary or a mesh skirt that would help with this though.

The first pic is from her outside hutch. She really doesn't go in there often mostly to relax after grooming and nail trimming just to give her some space after all the stress. The second pic is her inside crate. She is free to roam when I am home unless I'm asleep. So she is really only in there at night and when I'm at work. View attachment 40499View attachment 40500
I changed the flooring and rearranged a little.IMG_20190428_074529.jpg

This is Penelope’s one! She has so much space to run about whilst I’m at work and is free range when I’m at home and throughout the night!

She loves it!

Attachments

• IMG_4620.jpg
    IMG_4620.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_4621.jpg
    IMG_4621.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 95
20190512_084603.jpg 20190512_084620.jpg This is Charlie's room within a room. Most of the time we just shut the door so he has all the space around his house. Hubby is not so excited he latest of his study to the rabbit. He loves to play in front of the door to the enclosure like he is king of his castle.

Attachments

• 20190417_223522.jpg
    20190417_223522.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 41
Wow!! First off as a new member since November of last year. I have really enjoyed all the indoor show offs. But I respect blue eyes greatly and I know she said Indoor pens or cages only. I really loved the above outdoor home made built pen I saw! If my post isn't allowed please remove it, but my husband and I made it for our 3 rabbits ( don't know the breeds mixed) about 6 pound rabbits. Please feel free to delete my video post if you want but it's a great DIY idea. Thanks

My buns new cage and also a new play area I made from her old one!!

Attachments

• 2E4B5850-1DA4-44DD-9084-783D5D8D5D68.jpeg
    2E4B5850-1DA4-44DD-9084-783D5D8D5D68.jpeg
    91.6 KB · Views: 74
  • 4E0FB214-0183-4A28-B217-1CB4C14F380B.jpeg
    4E0FB214-0183-4A28-B217-1CB4C14F380B.jpeg
    100.6 KB · Views: 74
Wow!! First off as a new member since November of last year. I have really enjoyed all the indoor show offs. But I respect blue eyes greatly and I know she said Indoor pens or cages only. I really loved the above outdoor home made built pen I saw! If my post isn't allowed please remove it, but my husband and I made it for our 3 rabbits ( don't know the breeds mixed) about 6 pound rabbits. Please feel free to delete my video post if you want but it's a great DIY idea. Thanks

Hey Playdoh! I am not totally opposed to outdoor housing but do prefer indoor. Some climates are more suitable than others for outdoor housing (and some climates are not suitable at all). In your video, I like that people can see the stark contrast between the former small hutches and the current large space they now have.

I sometimes refer the following video to people looking at outdoor housing.

With your set-up, (I didn't watch entire video but skipped ahead a couple times so don't know if you mentioned this) I would be concerned about the bunnies possibly tunneling out of the penned area (or predators tunneling in). Some people will put hardware cloth beneath the soil to prevent this - just a thought. Another way some have handled that is to dig down around the perimeter and sink the fence itself straight down (like 18" ? ).

My outdoor setup for my rabbits. Not really the most beautiful set up and they miss there tunnel, got destroyed during the winter but will get a new one for summer.

They will often have fresh branches in the pen but have a few chewing toys scattered under the big hutch and in their cages.

The pen it’s 10 sq m, the big yellow hutch (2,75 sq m) and the small hutch (0,8 sq m).

The rabbits will never be in the pen during the night, always safely in their cages.

View attachment 40271
I really like what you have done, and I miss not having rabbits outside. Here are some of the problems I encountered.

I used to have rabbits outside with a similar set up. I put their cages inside of their hutches so they could go in and out, and I would lock them up in there at night for safety. I had to put wire inside the pen (hardware cloth) on the ground all around the fence to keep them from digging out. I ended up using the coated wire because one of my rabbits cut his paw on the wire trying to dig out. Rabbit tunnels can go long distances, so I would only let them dig so far, then I would fill it in and set something over the hole so they could not dig in that spot again. The pen was close to a tree, and my rabbits got tiny ticks that were brought in by birds. If mice got into their hay, the rabbits would get tape worms. I got some Revolution from the vet, which solved the parasite problem. I do feel that my rabbits enjoyed being outside more than they do inside. I enjoyed having them outside because that is where I like to be in the summer. My dream was to have an outdoor chain link covered pen, but I ended up bringing them inside. We also had a problem with a person in our house having allergies, and outside was where they needed to be. Because of the cost of the Revolution, keeping them outside was expensive, but it allowed me to spend more time with them, so I feel it was worth it.

I now have them inside the house. Coyotes and red fox have moved into our area. I have watched a fox jump over a 4' chain link fence with no problem. I think it possible that a coyotes could do the same. They were not in our area at the time I had my rabbits outside. We also have eagles and hawks in our area. I provided plenty of cover for my rabbits, but one day I saw hawks circling above.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back