2019 Cages - add your photo!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue eyes

Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Each year we start a new thread to show off our rabbit cages. Not only is it fun to see everyone's cages, it is also useful for new bunny owners.

Whether you've made a cage out of cube grids, exercise pen, xl dog crate, old furniture or any combination, we'd love to see it!

As always, let's avoid discussion as much as possible. :rolleyes:
We want this thread to be full of photos!
:D :D So let's see your cages!!!! :D :D

A WORD ABOUT CAGE SIZES

"Proper" or "recommended" cage size can be a touchy topic. However I believe all can agree that bigger is always better.

There are varying recommendations by different groups so I will include a few here to give a general feel for some of those recommendations. The sources will be included as well. Generally, these are for indoor house rabbits. The information is included in the spirit of providing the best we can for our bunny companions.

A rabbit needs at least four hours per day of running time inside the house or in a fenced yard, supervised by a human to prevent attack by predators. Our house rabbits are often never caged, but if you find it necessary to keep your rabbit confined while you are away, then be sure the cage is at least 3' x 4' on the floor dimensions, and at least 2' high, so the rabbit can comfortably stand on her haunches to look around. Large breeds (more than 6 lbs.) need an even larger hutch to be comfortable and healthy.
http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/indoorbun.html (by Dana M. Krempels, Ph.D.)

Bigger is better! A rabbit's home should be at least 4-6 times the size of your bunny when he's entirely stretched out - more if he is confined for a large amount of the day. Enclosure sizes also should be decided in conjunction with the amount of exercise time and space the rabbit has. One guideline to go by is at least 8 square feet of enclosure space combined with at least 24 square feet of exercise space, for 1-2 rabbits, in which the rabbit(s) can run and play at least 5 hours per day.
http://rabbit.org/faq-housing/ (House Rabbit Society)

Our recommendations are based on research, where it exists. One thing that all welfare organisations agree on is that A Hutch Is Not Enough. We recommend a minimum area of 10ft x 6ft x 3ft high (3m x 2m x 1m) for a pair of average sized rabbits, regardless if they live indoors or outside.
https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-housing/ (Rabbit Welfare Assoc Fund)

This is our initial set up the day we brought home Skipper and Piper. It’s 4’x8’, but we’ve added 4 more feet of flooring that we will expand into (as well as a second level!) but not until after they are spayed and litter trained! I’ve since added a bigger second litter box, And made some adjustments to their beds, hidey houses, etc., as we learn what they like and what they won’t pee on!
upload_2019-1-6_1-8-21.jpeg

Hi :) This will be my first post..
I got a new cage the other day for night time. They are free roaming 16 hours a day.
I'm concidering to buy a second cage and connect them..I have the space for it and once I move to an appartment (as soon as I get a steady job) I might have to keep them locked up when I'm not at home... then they need a better space.

I like this cage, it's an outdoor run from kerbl, but with some pliers, a roll with tape and an hours lazy work, it's a quiet, stable indoor cage with a roof I can open nicely :)
1547319107.jpg

I updated my cage :)
I got a second cage and attatched it to a long run.
I've den "divided" it to two rooms (they move freely between the two rooms). My bunnies really devour books, all kinds of books, so I gave them a reading room with pillows, a little plant for atmosphere, books of couse and a comfy sitting place.. xD
In the all purpose room they have resting places, a slipper for cold footsies, tunnels, toys, a bed naturally and close to the bathroom and kitchen.
I also put these camping foam sleeping pads on the floor, covered with anti-slip carpet and then fleece on top. I'm concernd that Dawn might need the padding and softness as she gets heavier, being a large breed.

I have found that visual obstacles can help preserve peace in a group of rabbits. They can sort of get away from each other if they want.49937912_1997274333640932_4179982968422400000_n.jpg 50230735_1997274530307579_2931389237641084928_n.jpg 50625274_1997274436974255_1327267176477884416_n.jpg 50278761_1997274386974260_8853773118733287424_n.jpg

IMG_5028.jpg
IMG_4209.jpg

My indoor cage it’s just a normal rabbit cage which you buy from a pet shop. I’m not that creative and it only cost me 50$. The only cage that exist indoor, only being used for night time. Rest of the day the house is free access.

A few toys, a heating pad, hiding house and a litter box.

Rabbit corner in the kitchen:
IMG_4747.jpg

Here’s our current set up. We’ve had our bunny for about 2 weeks and hve already gone through 2 upgrades to ensure we are giving Smokey a nice comfortable space where he can feel safe and happy. Since this is in our family room I’m always looking for ideas to make the set up visually appealing but also functional for him. Pintrest and this forum have been a great resource for ideas. I have a feeling this will be a work in progress

Attachments

• C99A14B7-B54A-4C39-B2F6-E5892061DA75.jpeg
    C99A14B7-B54A-4C39-B2F6-E5892061DA75.jpeg
    98.2 KB · Views: 193
The bunny condo we purchased for my daughter’s Holland Lop, Bubs. We placed the cage on top of a 4 storage bin unit; for all the bunny supplies He loves his personal space. We bring him out every day to exercise in the Living room. He truly entertains us with all his running around and crazy little binkies.

Attachments

• 697001B1-8E92-4F96-A777-C49A8B999229.jpeg
    697001B1-8E92-4F96-A777-C49A8B999229.jpeg
    73.6 KB · Views: 179
I updated my cage :)
I got a second cage and attatched it to a long run.
I've den "divided" it to two rooms (they move freely between the two rooms). My bunnies really devour books, all kinds of books, so I gave them a reading room with pillows, a little plant for atmosphere, books of couse and a comfy sitting place.. xD
In the all purpose room they have resting places, a slipper for cold footsies, tunnels, toys, a bed naturally and close to the bathroom and kitchen.
I also put these camping foam sleeping pads on the floor, covered with anti-slip carpet and then fleece on top. I'm concernd that Dawn might need the padding and softness as she gets heavier, being a large breed.

I have found that visual obstacles can help preserve peace in a group of rabbits. They can sort of get away from each other if they want.View attachment 39291 View attachment 39292 View attachment 39293 View attachment 39294
This is a great set up! I'm sure your buns are very happy :)

We are currently working on our hutch/run, but I am loving all of the ideas! Does anyone have outdoor rabbit run/hutch ideas?

My outdoor setup for my rabbits. Not really the most beautiful set up and they miss there tunnel, got destroyed during the winter but will get a new one for summer.

They will often have fresh branches in the pen but have a few chewing toys scattered under the big hutch and in their cages.

The pen it’s 10 sq m, the big yellow hutch (2,75 sq m) and the small hutch (0,8 sq m).

The rabbits will never be in the pen during the night, always safely in their cages.

IMG_5168.jpg

This is Bellas home. She was really happy to stay in her cage. A lot of days I would open the door and she wouldn't want to leave out!! I had to make the lights myself but I liked it and it kept her room at a low enough light that it didn't wake us at night. I'm remodeling now but i will be sure to post the updated version when I come up with a new idea! ☺

Attachments

• 20190314_222220.jpg
    20190314_222220.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 174
  • 20190314_222152.jpg
    20190314_222152.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 169
  • 20190324_191140.jpg
    20190324_191140.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 152
Status
Not open for further replies.