2018 Cages

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue eyes

Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Each year we start a new thread to show off our rabbit cages. Not only is it fun to see everyone's cages, it is also useful for new bunny owners.

Whether you've made a cage out of cube grids, exercise pen, xl dog crate, old furniture or any combination, we'd love to see it!

As always, let's avoid discussion as much as possible.

We want this thread to be full of photos! .

:wiggle So let's see your cages!!!! :wiggle

A WORD ABOUT CAGE SIZES

"Proper" or "recommended" cage size can be a touchy topic. However I believe all can agree that bigger is always better.

There are varying recommendations by different groups so I will include a few here to give a general feel for some of those recommendations. The sources will be included as well. Generally, these are for indoor house rabbits. The information is included in the spirit of providing the best we can for our bunny companions.

A rabbit needs at least four hours per day of running time inside the house or in a fenced yard, supervised by a human to prevent attack by predators. Our house rabbits are often never caged, but if you find it necessary to keep your rabbit confined while you are away, then be sure the cage is at least 3' x 4' on the floor dimensions, and at least 2' high, so the rabbit can comfortably stand on her haunches to look around. Large breeds (more than 6 lbs.) need an even larger hutch to be comfortable and healthy.
http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/indoorbun.html (by Dana M. Krempels, Ph.D.)

Bigger is better! A rabbit’s home should be at least 4-6 times the size of your bunny when he’s entirely stretched out–more if he is confined for a large amount of the day. Enclosure sizes also should be decided in conjunction with the amount of exercise time and space the rabbit has. One guideline to go by is at least 8 square feet of enclosure space combined with at least 24 square feet of exercise space, for 1-2 rabbits, in which the rabbit(s) can run and play at least 5 hours per day.
http://rabbit.org/faq-housing/ (House Rabbit Society)

Our recommendations are based on research, where it exists. One thing that all welfare organisations agree on is that A Hutch Is Not Enough. We recommend a minimum area of 10ft x 6ft x 3ft high (3m x 2m x 1m) for a pair of average sized rabbits, regardless if they live indoors or outside.
https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-housing/ (Rabbit Welfare Assoc Fund)

2018 rabbit room redesign: Removed all the xpen panels (they're already free range) to create a spacious, open room -- with appropriate hiding places.

The jury's still out as to whether they approve of the changes. It's only been four days.

One before and three after pics:

DSCF0804.jpg

DSCF0862.jpg

DSCF0863.jpg

DSCF0864.jpg

My rabbit's cage is open from morning til midnight. He has access to the area shown plus the rest of the main living area (behind the couch which is behind the dog) where there is an area rug.
In the evenings, he comes out on the area rug to tease the dogs and beg for his treat.

(don't know why it is showing sideways)

20160518_091341.jpg

This is Sadie (she's sitting in the back using her litterpan (she's a netherland). This is her cage as of yesterday. She's already trashed the hell out of it. Sadie is free roaming in my craft room/office while I work, but when I can't watch her, or it's night she goes into her cage. I used NIC panels for the cage, and I'm hoping to get more. Her cage is 42"x 56" inches, with a secondary level. I had to use cardboard on the second level as she would destroy the cloth padding and I was afraid of her getting a blockage. Her house is an old wooden wine box, her litter pan a small storage bin, and her hay goes in the folgers can which she throws around. I'm disabled and on a fixed income, so most of my rabbit stuff is either found, or recycled stuff. My service dog is sitting on the couch...Sadie likes to pick on him, so he sits on the couch to get away from her.

IMG_20180113_153740.jpg

Last edited:
The living room access... actual hutch(es) are currently approx 16sq ft for now, built into adjoining room. Easily expandable, and divider easily removed if they do bond.

Attachments

• KIMG0083.JPG
    KIMG0083.JPG
    54 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:
yFXiHto
I'd love to put some kind of rug but I just got this little guy and starting to potty train so not yet. And want to put more toys. Worried about the tile cause he seems to slip a little but still explores. Think I might need to change the flooring.. the plastic has ridges but it is kind of slick too. His foot kind of slides when grooming.

yFXiHto.jpg

have you tried newspaper, they also like to dig in it and sometimes chew so make sure you use a paper that uses vegetable/organic ink on theirs, if they start . Its hard to run and binky on slippery tile, its also cold.

^ tile is actually great to have in a cage because it is cold. Many rabbits enjoy laying on it to cool down. Lino could be used on the floor (they have some types with good grip) but I would still include at least one square tile for lounging.

6E6DDCAF-9074-4465-A0E1-E423D2D7B875.jpeg 8167812E-9FCA-400D-8E12-FAAD1DF054F1.jpeg 09EF433E-9079-4BC7-BE05-3F594910902A.jpeg 48FAC382-C948-41F7-AF0A-66C7AE5C0E75.jpeg Hello everyone

Bought a used Hutch 50$!!!! Gutted it and sanded it down to clean it up. I’ll place a piece of plywood covered in laminate and hv a ramp to the lower level of the condo.

I’m in the process of painting still but I couldn’t wait to show you all.

Also I’d love opinions on where to put one divider and the hole for the ramp lol not sure what the best layout would be.

This is our bunnies' personal space where their toilet and hay are kept. They have the run of the room and often the whole flat but they can be secured here for short periods if needed. Their total pen space is 12 feet square.IMG_20180502_074500.jpeg

This is Alice and Mr. Bunbunz play area for today.20180513_152555.jpg Here is Mr.BunBunz relaxing in the afternoon.20180513_152713.jpg
This is Alice on her Green Jersey Bedding Sheet She Loves to lay on.20180513_152655.jpg Mr.BunBunz and Alice's extended pen for today. It's usually 2 pens combined but today they get to play in 3 pens!

Attachments

• 20180513_152440.jpg
    20180513_152440.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 33
  • 20180513_152532.jpg
    20180513_152532.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 31
  • 20180513_152611.jpg
    20180513_152611.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 26
  • 20180513_152638.jpg
    20180513_152638.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
My goodness they are spoilt. Look at all those boxes and toys haha! Cuuuuute.

D09B6853-9F82-498C-939E-877A79550371.jpeg I live in New Zealand so the weather is fine for rabbits to be outside, these buns have a chicken cage (as I don’t have time to build one at the moment) and they love it! It’s very big but the inside hutch still needs fixing and improving... even with this cage, the bunnies still get let out for an explore in the orchard :)

Our "condo" is a work in progress. Storage cube panels allow us to remodel whenever the buns like a change. They love it when we add something new. Then, it is binky time! :) They love the upstairs balcony. They retreat up there for nap time; but, it also Condo_4043.jpg Condo_4055.jpg gives them plenty of space for drag racing when they have a need for it. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back