2013 Cages You've Made

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's Bear's newly extended cage! He has a 48"x36"x30" dog crate with a second level I made, and the 36" xpen just came in today. The xpen area is about 4'x4.5'. So in total he has about 30 sq feet of floorspace with an additional approx 5-6 square feet on the second level. Quite a lot of room for a 3.6 pound bunny!

xpen001_zpsa46fa31a.jpg

Here's the crate:
xpen002_zpsbf95ef60.jpg

The floor has pull-out plastic tray. I bought waterproof crib mattress sheet things, which fit the plastic tray perfectly. I then put fleece on top. (You'll have to excuse the mess, he's due for a cleanout on Wednesday)
xpen004_zpsd5034d1d.jpg

xpen005_zps155de65f.jpg

Here's the xpen:
xpen003_zpsfbb79c4e.jpg

xpen007_zps0bfb8e06.jpg

The floor for this is just an old shower curtain. It's waterproof but it's that sort of "soft" plastic so it's comfortable on his feet (which my very sandpaper-like carpet is not)
xpen008_zps6d6db725.jpg

I bunny-proofed the shelving unit by giving him the bottom shelves and making NIC doors to close off the upper shelves (no sneaking into the treats!)
xpen009_zpsf49b8bf9.jpg

xpen010_zps1c2eca6c.jpg

You can tell by some of the last pictures that he's a pee sprayer! Hopefully after he's neutered he'll be able to mostly free range without painting my walls. For now this is his area for most of the day. :biggrin2:

christmas gift for my rabbit QQ.........

Do be careful with those connectors. I see you used zip ties on the doorway. I would also reinforce all connectors with the zip ties. I have found that the connectors can pop out quite easily with rabbits.

You could also just replace the connectors with the ties. I stopped using the connectors altogether with rabbit cages -- just use zip ties alone.

After much trial and error this year I think I'm finally happy with Faith's cage (Freckles' is the same). I didn't want to post until I was happy, lol. I've tried dog crates and built NIC cages but in the end I find this arrangement the best for us. Easy to manage, enter, and clean. So, yay! I wanted it to be larger than just the x-pen so hubby and I broke the connections on a few panels and created extra panels out of NIC grids. It ended up being 7.5' x 4'. We've also perfected our hay rack and it's working well. It holds a tremendous amount of hay. We have that rack for all 3 bunnies. Sooo, without further ado, here it is!
ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1388611769.666458.jpg
Of course Faith piled all of her toys up. Bunnies love to re-arrange things, lol!

@ Ape337, Nice cage!! Faith looks just like one of my past bunnies -- he was a big ol' gray french lop and one of my all time favorites.

Would you also post the photos again on the new '2014 Cages You've Made' thread? That thread just got started and it would be great for your cage (and others who just recently posted here) to be included on the new thread too.

Thanks! I'll transfer my pic over w/out the commentary, lol!
Faith is just beautiful. The pic doesn't do her justice at all. She's all white underneath and kinda reminds me of a chinchilla. :)

thank you! i realise the connection is not very firm, i add a lot of zip tied also now to make it more firm:brownbunny

The floor has pull-out plastic tray. I bought waterproof crib mattress sheet things, which fit the plastic tray perfectly. I then put fleece on top.
It's hard to see your pictures because they are small and wouldn't let me enlarge it. You said it was a pull out tray. I am intrigued. How does that work exactly?

Right now I have plastic lining underneath because their accidents already gave me some black stains on hardwood floor. Ugh. It was a carpet before and it went through so I removed the carpet.

Also... I've tried to build second floor, like you guys did with the grids, but the rabbits never go up there for some reason. :dunno

Last edited:
I love all these ideas! I haven't tried it yet (planning to soon) because Lucy eats anything fabric or plastic. These are all great ideas. I love the use of plexiglass to contain the mess. :D

Boom. This is the setup that Lilith lives in when she's not running around my room. Any suggestions, recommendations or new ideas for improvement and safety?

1400964810872.jpg

1400964828595.jpg

1400964853670.jpg

1400964884149.jpg

1400964917668.jpg

1400964945691.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back