20-week old rabbit not putting on weight

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I have a 20 week old male rabbit. He isn't putting on weight and is always hungry. I'm feeding him vegetables 3 times a day and he has 24hr access to feeding hay. I don't know what to do...

Have you been weighing him regularly to determine this?
How do his stools look?
Energy level?
Appetite?
What types of vegetables are you feeding him?

While there are plenty of rabbits out there who do very well without pellets, consistency is a good idea for young, growing rabbits- I'd get him back on a good pellet made for young rabbits when you can. Definitely consider deworming him as well.

Haven't been weighing him regularly as it is hard to get him to stay still long enough
He has no problems with bathroom matters
His energy levels are fine- he's hopping and racing around whenever he's let out for playtime. He's constantly hopping himself onto high places and not being able to get himself down.
He's always hungry and eats everything that I give him
He gets fed Spinach, Capsicum, Cabbage and Cauliflower with the occasional Carrot and a tiny amount of Banana or Mango whenever I make smoothies(which isn't that often) he also has 24hr access to eating hay. I try to take him outside for a few hours each day depending on the weather and my work schedule.

Considering his age (~4.5mo), he is right now rapidly growing, so he needs a nutrient-dense diet to both match that rapid growth and provide the necessary 'building blocks' to grow healthily. At that age, the 'ideal' diet recommended is unlimited alfalfa hay and alfalfa pellets. Yes, medical considerations should be considered and also the proper diet for your rabbit's age needs to be offered as well.

https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Diet#Age

Hi everyone, I have a 20 week old male rabbit. He isn't putting on weight and is always hungry. I'm feeding him vegetables 3 times a day and he has 24hr access to feeding hay. I don't know what to do...
Update: Vet said he was completely healthy. I ended up speaking to the lady I got him from and apparently he was kept with his mother until I took him home. According to the lady, his mother wasn't sharing the food with him, so when I got him, he was very hungry. He's doing fine now and has bonded well to my other rabbit.
Pic: Oreo (my now 1-year-old male) front and Cassie (my 3-year-old female) behind
20230209_101311.jpg

Latest posts

Back