2-year old Holland lop stopped eating

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cniesink

Reaction score
Hi all,

I just made an account to hopefully get some advice from all of you! I have 2 bunnies, both are holland lops, one is a male and is a dwarf and just turned 2 the other day. The other is a female (not 100% sure on her breed, but she looks like a lop but the's bigger). I rescued her so I don't know her exact age.
My male rabbit, Flint stopped eating all of a sudden. Last night when I went to go feed him his veggies, I noticed there was still some in his bowl. Quite unusual for him as half the time he acts like he doesn't get fed and devours it. I put more veggies in his bowl anyways in hopes he would eat them. I woke up this morning and noticed he hadn't touched it at all nor did he touch his hay. He seemed very uninterested in me and was a bit hunched over. I immediately started panicking, and I syringe-fed him a tbs. of critical care mixed with 2 tbs. water. I let him out to run because I read that it is important for him to stay active. He seems to have bounced back a bit.. I cleaned his cage and litterbox so I could monitor whether or not he is pooping/peeing, and he has been eating hay (thank god). He however is still barely touching his veggies/treats. He is also having quite a bit of runny poop which I have to clean up from his butt very often (he has longer hair). Wondering if maybe I fed him too much at once? I did call a local vet and she said that I did everything right and to just continue to monitor him. I can't really bring him in during this time.. Just wondering if anyone else has any suggestions or feedback in general. I've done lots of research and believe I'm doing everything right but it doesn't hurt to check.

Thanks so much.

Update: maybe I spoke too soon but he is currently munching on a piece of apple! :) I do believe he will be okay as he bounced back and maybe he had an upset stomach. Any feedback is still welcome however!

Put him on a hay diet, what is the usually diet you give your bunnies?

Why a hay diet, it’s just so he don’t bounce back for worse again. So he get his stomach to act normal again and work how it should be.

When you say runny poop, do you mean his cecotropes are mushy but his round fecal poop balls are normal, or is all of his poop watery or pudding like? Because if he isn't producing any normal round fecal poop and it's all diarrhea, that is an immediate emergency.

When you say runny poop, do you mean his cecotropes are mushy but his round fecal poop balls are normal, or is all of his poop watery or pudding like? Because if he isn't producing any normal round fecal poop and it's all diarrhea, that is an immediate emergency.
Some was round and squishy and some may have been pudding like. It's hard to tell because it sticks to his fur. I'll keep a close eye on it.

Put him on a hay diet, what is the usually diet you give your bunnies?

Why a hay diet, it’s just so he don’t bounce back for worse again. So he get his stomach to act normal again and work how it should be.
I normally feed him a cup of veggies (mixture of romaine lettuce, brussel sprouts, bell pepper, spinach, parsley; depends on what I have that day). He is about 5 lbs if that helps.

It sounds like he had a bit of gas which could have caused Gi-stasis. It sounds like he is getting better though! I would put him on a timothy or orchard hay only diet for a week and see if that helps. If he starts sitting in the hunched position again you can give him one 1ml dose of infant gas drops (found at any pharmacy or Walmart). He can have one 1-2 ml doses every hour for 3 hours, and then 1-2 ml doses every 3-8 hours or as needed.

It sounds like he had a bit of gas which could have caused Gi-stasis. It sounds like he is getting better though! I would put him on a timothy or orchard hay only diet for a week and see if that helps. If he starts sitting in the hunched position again you can give him one 1ml dose of infant gas drops (found at any pharmacy or Walmart). He can have one 1-2 ml doses every hour for 3 hours, and then 1-2 ml doses every 3-8 hours or as needed.
Thank you very much, this was very helpful!

Latest posts

Back