2 questions Are NIC grids stable..

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
1. So In order to expand my rabbits cage I was thinking about making a "fence" out of NIC grids my floor is wood so I don't know if it'll be stable

2. Can 2 rabbits share the same space of 4 feet by 6 feet ish

Thanks

1. Yes, c&c grids can be completely stable, and some people build enclosures about them. Just use zip ties to reinforce the grids and cut off the extra plastic. You can also use a metal play pen instead.

2. 6x4 will be fine for two bunnies but they will need free-roam time for at least 5 hours a day if theyโ€™re indoors. If theyโ€™re outdoors, they will need a large run that they can have permanent access to

Actually the NIC grids may not be stable if they are just set up like an exercise pen. The grids would have to be 3 grids tall to prevent a jump over. If they are placed in a wide arc, they could fold over if they are held with zip ties. They become stable when/if they have a horizontal grid placed to secure the corner.

In other words, if you just created the equivalent of a "wall" of grids, it will flop over.

Actually the NIC grids may not be stable if they are just set up like an exercise pen. The grids would have to be 3 grids tall to prevent a jump over. If they are placed in a wide arc, they could fold over if they are held with zip ties. They become stable when/if they have a horizontal grid placed to secure the corner.

In other words, if you just created the equivalent of a "wall" of grids, it will flop over.
Not to be annoying but could you maybe show a picture I'm not good with picturing things๐Ÿค”๐Ÿ˜…

I'll try to explain as well as show some pics. NIC grids are quite sturdy if they are made into a cube cage. When the corners are together and there are shelves holding them together -- then they are strong.

Without those corners, there is nothing to hold them upright. So if I make a wall by stacking 3 grids high, that would make a wall roughly 40" tall. I show a diagram of such a wall that is 4 grids wide. It could be made as wide as one wants. BUT, once you try to stand them up, they will not stand on their own. The diagram shows how the top level (or even top and bottom) would just flop over. Hopefully that makes sense.

As for having corners and making them into a cage, then they are sturdy. Here is a very old (about 20 years) photo of a cube cage just made. (I no longer use bottles.) There is a stuffed rabbit visible on an upper level. That same rabbit can be seen in the next photo with my toddler. My son is actually sitting inside the cage on that upper level and it is strong enough to hold him.
{It won't hold him nowadays as he is 6'3" !!}:)

Attachments

• GRIDS W out corner support.jpg
    GRIDS W out corner support.jpg
    207.4 KB · Views: 4
  • Mar09$03.JPG
    Mar09$03.JPG
    434.7 KB · Views: 6
  • Mar09$10.JPG
    Mar09$10.JPG
    284.2 KB · Views: 5

Latest posts

Back