2 new males HELP

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mandyi

Reaction score
Good morning, we recently purchased a second male dwarf hotot, our first male is 1 year old and is apparently very dominant! He has had full range of our home since we had him he has been litter trained etc. our second male is 3 years old he is not challenging him but rather running from him. The one year old is nipping at him pooping around his cage his ears are constantly up as the others ears are always back. I feel like we are in a bunny war zone!!! HELP!! Also both are dwarf hotots neither are neutered nor will they be.

Separate them! You don't want any fighting! If you are hoping to bond them it is not going to work without them being neutered. I would set up separate inclosers where they can't see each other.

If you dont mind, why won't they be neutered?
Bunnies are much more calmer and less territorial when they are fixed. This may reduce or even completely alleviate your issue.

If you dont mind, why won't they be neutered?
Bunnies are much more calmer and less territorial when they are fixed. This may reduce or even completely alleviate your issue.
My daughter shows them for FFA, she will later use them for breeding. They come from a great pedigree of breeding.

Separate them! You don't want any fighting! If you are hoping to bond them it is not going to work without them being neutered. I would set up separate inclosers where they can't see each other.
They are in separate cages and in opposite sides of the room. We allow the rabbits out of the cages when we are home and supervised. The younger one has sprayed 1x but has not since that happened. The newest rabbit will just sit there. As I said he’s not challenging him or anything.

Ok. When you get them out just don't let them get to each other's cages. It will feel like the one that is free is more dominant than the one in the cage.

Ok. When you get them out just don't let them get to each other's cages. It will feel like the one that is free is more dominant than the one in the cage.
Is there a way to ever have them in the same room or allow them to play together? ( is that a realistic desire with 2 males?)

Please keep monitoring when you let them out together. The dominant male can sometimes pull fur, scratch and bite. Your new bunny will become very sad and reserved.
All the best.

Is there a way to ever have them in the same room or allow them to play together? ( is that a realistic desire with 2 males?)
They will not be able to play together, but if you split the room with a playpen that should work. Just make sure there is no biting through the bars.

It would be dangerous to let them out together they will fight and can kill each other, if you will keep them near each other they will become nervous because there's another intact male and most likely will spray their territory and around other rabbit's cage a lot. If you don't want to neuter them just keep them separated and preferably in different room all the time. Some rabbits will also react if you smell like other rabbit after you hold them and will pee all over you for that or will bite you.

As others have stated, 2 intact males are not going to get along and they won't benefit from being allowed to interact. It will only cause them stress.

Since they have to stay intact, the best option for the rabbits is to keep them as separate as possible. The mere presence of one in the territory of the other will cause constant stress (even if it isn't high stress). Long-term, lesser stress is just as detrimental as short-term, higher stress.

If there is a way to keep them in separate rooms, that would be better.

Latest posts

Back