2 buns fighting I need help after a HUGE fight tonight

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ariel

Reaction score
Up until today all of our bunnies gotalong very very well, Roger (girl about 12 weeks old) and Amber (girlroughly same age) got into a fight today and then another HUGE onetonight.

They have been seperated, but I am worried Roger may of gotten hurt,she cowars away from Amber yet she will go and lay right next to Bindy,she is slow moving and hides from Amber (hence they are nowseperate)

To top it all off it turns out Gizmo is a BOY!!! I have only justdiscovered this tonight I checked everybunny on sunday and I swore theywere all girls, well not today they're not, I am wondering if this hassomething to do with the fight, also it seemed Roger and Amber wereboth trying hard to get Bindys attention at the time, so it might be a"she is my friend" fight thing, but I don't get it they wereall fine until today.

Weird beacuse like I said until today everyone got along well.

If anyone has any ideas I'd be grateful.

Thanks

Dear Ariel,

I'd check Roger over with a fine-toothed comb. Make sure he doesn't have any punctures.

It's normal for him to cower around Amber if she kicked hisbutt. Poor little guy is scared of her and the fight betweenthem might not be over. Rabbits fight until they get tiredand then they take a break. When they're re-energized, theywill go at it again if one feels the need to continue to bully another.

Would, of course, not let them out for the day. I'd spendsome time with Roger talking to him and calming him downtomorrow. For tonight, make him as comfortable as you can,offer him his treats and anything you think will bring him comfort.

You might have a litter on the way, so watch for that too.I'd also check Amber over carefully. Even though she mayappear to be the leader at this point, she could've gotten a scratchtoo. You have to be really careful and watch closely to anyscratches/injuries because you want to avoid infection by all costs.

As rabbits get more and more comfortable in their environment, they maystart to test the waters with each other's rank in power.

If you have any NutriCal, it would be a good time to give each of thema dose of it - just too kick their immune system if they are very upsetor you miss something while looking them over.

Keep us posted.

:kiss:

-Carolyn

Thanks carolyn, I will check them over again, Poor Roger I feel sosorry for her, she is such a timid sweet little thing, I have moved herinto Bindys old house and put her right next to the condo so they canstill talk but safely behind bars.

Gizmo is now in a seperate part of the condo blocked off by a wire door that HE can still talk with Bindy and Amber.

My Gawsh I hope we don't have bubby bunnies on the way, but I willcertainly be keeping an eye on that as well, Gizmo now will stayseperate until we can get HIM to our vet for the "you know what".

We are lucky we had built such a big condo, they can be together but seperate if you get what I mean.

It's upsetting because like I said up until today they were the best offriends, no fights or anything they just merrily lived together. Idefinately will keep in mind what you said about when they get comfywith one another they test each other out sometimes.

Gawsh oh gawsh what a lesson I am learning, crash course in "when things turn hairy and what to do when SHE turns into a HE!!!"

Thankyou for your help, and Thanks to Pam as well for the advice in PM's I am sure glad I am here with you lot.

I think I will be sleeping in the bunny room tonight.

Fauna went by Tucker's rule for about 6 monthsbefore she decided to Take Over The Warren. PoorRoger. She'll be okay though. She's got youprotecting her.

Definitely would keep her separate from Amber and if you do wish tobond them, I'd start all over again - but give it a couple ofdays. It may or may not work. :dunno:

If Roger will hop around, see how she does. The same withAmber. I'm sure you checked the cage for blood.Feel closely for any bumps, do her bones feel alright, does she jumpwhen you touch one spot? As much as you don't want to botherher more at this point, you have to find out if there's trouble behindthat beautiful black coat of hers.

:pray:

-Carolyn

I'm in tears, ariel. I can't believe Roger just died.

:bigtears:

I'm so sorry!!!

100_0793.jpg

Roger...

Please pray for Ariel, People. She'sshattered.

Oh no, I'm so sorry for your loss!

I'd be very careful with the 2 that are still together, it's notuncommon for rabbits to best of friends one minute and the next theywill fight to the death (when they or one isyoung). I learnedthat with my boys almost 2 years ago.

Once again, I'm so sorry for your loss. :bigtears:

JimD wrote:
I'm confused about what has happened :?

Unless there wasa neocropsy done, which there won't be, we'llnever really know. Sometimes the stress of a fight betweentwo little ones can cause a heartattack.They weregetting along fine up until that one day. Ariel is anexcellent mother to all of her babies. If this could've beenprevented, she would've been the first one to stop it.Sometimes as rabbits fight for what they feel is their rightful placein rank, they can get nastier with each other as they get morecomfortable in their new home. The stress is too much ontheir systems. Don't know how strong her genetics were eitheror if something else was going on that we couldn't see or feel.

Hormones could be kicking in as well. Your guess is as goodas ours. It could be any number of things.

-Carolyn

Ariel,

I'm so sorry for your loss. I know you're a great bunny momand it wasn't anything that you did that caused this....but thatdoesn't help take away the pain.

You're in my thoughts and prayers.

Peg

Carolyn wrote:
Theywere getting along fine up until that one day. Ariel is anexcellent mother to all of her babies. If this could've beenprevented, she would've been the first one to stop it.
I completely agree. I tend to think it was maybe a stress problem ormaybe a mix of stress and an underlying problem that Ariel could nothave possibly known about.

Fights are horrible, that's why I'm so scared to bond rabbits.:?

Latest posts

Back