2 bunnies litter training

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bunbun&riri

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I just want to ask how to litter train two rabbits. My first bunny (bunbun), is litter trained already but when I got the second rabbit (Riri) which is a week after I got the first one she now forgets to use the litter box. Now, I have two bunnies to litter train again. I have 2 litter boxes btw and they use it to pee but the poops is still everywhere.

Attachments

• EA87F3C3-232E-472D-BAFA-C64A97F8DAB9.jpeg
    EA87F3C3-232E-472D-BAFA-C64A97F8DAB9.jpeg
    68.3 KB · Views: 8
A rabbit is considered litter box trained when it consistently pees in the litter box. So your rabbits are considered litter trained. Poop is a whole other matter.

Rabbits will poop mark as a territorial thing. So any changes in a rabbits environment can cause poop marking to occur. Things like your rabbits being new to your home, or your rabbits being allowed into a new area, their area expanded too quickly, changes to their area occurring, or new people or new pets in the home.

Have a read through these links below to see if it can help you pinpoint what your issue might be. Keep in mind that poop marking occurring because of changes, will usually settle down in a few weeks. Also, how good each rabbit will be about keeping the poop in the litter box, will vary. Some rabbits are better about it than others. One thing that can help is having the proper litter box set up where their hay and food is eaten while sitting in the litter box, as rabbits usually poop while they eat.

https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/litter-training.html
https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Litter_training

thank you so much for this info and links!! They are 2 months now and no they aren't fixed yet but Im looking for nearby vets since its still lockdown here. Thank you!!!

That was my first thought too. With a new bunny around your original bun likely feels like they need to mark their territory.

Rabbits will poop mark as a territorial thing. So any changes in a rabbits environment can cause poop marking to occur. Things like your rabbits being new to your home, or your rabbits being allowed into a new area, their area expanded too quickly, changes to their area occurring, or new people or new pets in the home.

If they are just 2 months old, they are likely too young to fix. The link provided by @Diane R should provide vet references so you can ask a vet how soon they will spay.

With young buns, some will litter train early and some won't, but even if they do litter train, they can "forget" those habits with the onset of hormones. Spayed rabbits litter train more easily.

Another thing to look out for with the onset of hormones is that the two girls could begin to fight. It doesn't matter how cuddly and loving they are towards each other when they are this young. Those hormones can cause the cuddliest of pairs to begin fighting. If this occurs, separate them immediately. After they have healed fully from their spays, they can be re-introduced. Just go slowly when introducing them again because it will be as if they never met. While they are healing from their spays, they can be in side-by-side cages so they safely begin to get accustomed to each other again.

I asked the nearest vet i have and they said they dont do spaying for rabbits. I might need to search and join the group to find a right vet for these babies. So this means not all vets accepts rabbits?

Im really new with this, sorry. 🥺 Im trying my very best to understand and learn my rabbits and give what they need. Everytime i search online this forum always shows up and I see it very helpful, thats why I joined and Im very thankful for all the help!!

Yes, the group has a list of rabbit vets.
Hi diane, I have a concern in regards with my rabbit Riri. i dont know if this is from tears or its some health issues. You can see in the photo there are clamps of fur in the eye area and i dont know if its from tears or there maybe a health concern with this.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    202.2 KB · Views: 4
Hi diane, I have a concern in regards with my rabbit Riri. i dont know if this is from tears or its some health issues. You can see in the photo there are clamps of fur in the eye area and i dont know if its from tears or there maybe a health concern with this.
Bunnies don't cry so it's not tears. There are many possible causes including dental problems. Take her a to rabbit vet. Meanwhile use cooled boiled water and cotton wool to clean it and then dry it.

Our vet list has been updated to a google map version.

Green icons are those who are known to be rabbit-savvy while the Yellow icons are those who can treat bunnies for minor cases (not that rabbit-savvy)

Updated Rabbit Vet List

Hi! Here's the vet list!

With regards to spay/neuter, you may message my fb page so I can send you our recommended vets as well as the breakdown =)

Latest posts

Back