1st time bunny owner

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peanutandshadow

Reaction score
Hi new bunny mom here short story i have just acquired two large rabbits. Unsure of age and sex. I had rescued them from being dumped and have no ideal what im doing. Ive googled alot but the situation is they are large i believe rexs. They came w a medium sized cage kaytee food and hay. They are very bonded to each other and super friendly. Can i seperate them in diffrent cages at night or when im gone for work? So they have more space or should i fork out more money for a much bigger indoor cage? They have my full kitchen to play in when im home. I just wanna do whats best and less stressful for my new babies. Any help on cage situation and or advice would be best would be much appreciated. Thank you

Hi new bunny mom here short story i have just acquired two large rabbits. Unsure of age and sex. I had rescued them from being dumped and have no ideal what im doing. Ive googled alot but the situation is they are large i believe rexs. They came w a medium sized cage kaytee food and hay. They are very bonded to each other and super friendly. Can i seperate them in diffrent cages at night or when im gone for work? So they have more space or should i fork out more money for a much bigger indoor cage? They have my full kitchen to play in when im home. I just wanna do whats best and less stressful for my new babies. Any help on cage situation and or advice would be best would be much appreciated. Thank you
If you have an extra cage it would be better to join the two so they can stay bonded, there are many possibilities you can remove one side or front panel make it L-shape, also can put some fireguard panels around or playpen if you could post some pictures of your setup would be cool we love pictures

Congrats on your new babies! No. Do not separate a bonded pair. It can break their bond. (Even if one ever has to go to the vet, they both go together.)

There are a number of ways to create a larger cage without spending a lot of money. In fact, a DIY cage or an exercise pen can afford a lot more space than any rabbit cage bought from a pet store.

Might I suggest you take a look at the following link here on RO for inspiration.
https://www.rabbitsonline.net/threads/2019-cages-add-your-photo.93422/

You can also check out the housing page on my website for ideas as well.

an x pen or large pen is the best environment for bunnies if you can’t have them free roam all the time. my bunnies have a large cage attached to a big pen but they only go in the cage when they have to (when i’m cleaning or moving the pen around). this way they can have room to run around without being able to get into my house while i’m not there :)

I suggest getting a new cage, maybe build one from C and C/ NIC grids as this is a cheap option and you can make the cage bigger or smaller, and whatever shape that suits you. Make sure you avoid splitting up as their bond can break and you may need to rebond them over time.
Hope you enjoy having rabbits! If you need any more advice feel free to direct message me :D

WAAAAAIT!!!! If you don’t know the sex of them, maybe you will have babies to deal with soon! Maybe that’s why they were going to be dumped?!?!?!
Great suggestions from everyone but you have got to find out about their sex and if they have been spayed/neutered.

WAAAAAIT!!!! If you don’t know the sex of them, maybe you will have babies to deal with soon! Maybe that’s why they were going to be dumped?!?!?!
Great suggestions from everyone but you have got to find out about their sex and if they have been spayed/neutered.

Good catch! I was assuming they were fixed.

Yeah I missed it too, sure this is first thing you need to do, find out what sexes they are and approximate age, and if they are fixed.
If they are just under 3 months this bond can break pretty soon and if they are male and female you will have to deal with babies or if they are same sex they can become territorial and start fighting for dominance. If they are older than 1 year and fixed it can be a real bond and you don't want to break it. So sexing is most important now, here's a guide with instructions and clear pictures, also check if they have testicles you won't need to examine closer then. https://www.rabbitsonline.net/threads/sexing-rabbit-pictures.44936/

Latest posts

Back