17-day old tiny baby bunny has hard, dried poop in its butt

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I cleared the obstruction (Smelled like poop). There’s open raw flesh underneath. Poor thing. With all the Wiping I did I didn’t notice it urinate and it most certainly didn’t poop. We’ll see what the morning brings.
Thanks everyone for the help!

Baby bun looks full and sleepy but decent today. There is black on the tip of the protrusion so I will go stimulate and clean with chamomile and honey again. I did find poop in the cage that seems old. So looks like it could be mommy’s and some is more squashed but similar looking to mommy’s and small so wondering if that is baby’s. Not sure how current it is. It was wrapped up in the hay.
I am wondering if it would be wise to take the entire nest out and put a soft towel down and a soft blanket and some hay that’s fresh up there now? Right now I still have all the the original nesting stuff that mom put together along with her fur. Baby is 12 days old today. Still eyes are closed. Should I leave the nest alone for a bit longer?
Thanks for any input. I don’t want to upset mom as she does seem to be tending to the baby.

Attachments

• 897EA903-9E6F-45C2-8D22-50EEB3CC13B9.jpeg
    897EA903-9E6F-45C2-8D22-50EEB3CC13B9.jpeg
    157.2 KB · Views: 2
If it's getting soiled, yes, clean out the soiled and replace with clean bedding. Otherwise, when the babies eyes open it will start wandering out of the nest. When it won't stay in the nest any longer, the nest box can be cleaned out and placed on it's side as a little cubby hole for the baby to have somewhere to still snuggle up in.

Normal baby bunny poop is really tiny, like a speck at this point. So might be difficult to even notice. Unless it's all coming out mushy, then the mom may just be licking it off when she stimulates the baby to pee(if she's doing that like she should be), except when it's drying out stuck on there like you've already encountered.

If the baby had an open wound at the anal opening, that dark dot you are seeing may not be poop but is a scab. If this is the case where there's a wound, I would put a thin layer of plain triple antibiotic ointment(not the one with added pain relief) on the sore and anal opening, at least a couple of times a day, to help keep it moisturized and aid in healing.

If it's getting soiled, yes, clean out the soiled and replace with clean bedding. Otherwise, when the babies eyes open it will start wandering out of the nest. When it won't stay in the nest any longer, the nest box can be cleaned out and placed on it's side as a little cubby hole for the baby to have somewhere to still snuggle up in.

Normal baby bunny poop is really tiny, like a speck at this point. So might be difficult to even notice. Unless it's all coming out mushy, then the mom may just be licking it off when she stimulates the baby to pee(if she's doing that like she should be), except when it's drying out stuck on there like you've already encountered.

If the baby had an open wound at the anal opening, that dark dot you are seeing may not be poop but is a scab. If this is the case where there's a wound, I would put a thin layer of plain triple antibiotic ointment(not the one with added pain relief) on the sore and anal opening, at least a couple of times a day, to help keep it moisturized and aid in healing.
Thank you. The tripe antibiotic cream shouldn’t hurt the mom if licked?
Also, if it is blood on the end should I still be trying to get it off? The last bunch that I got off did smell like poop so I’m thinking it’s just poop.
Thanks for thoughts.

I haven't ever found using a thin layer of plain neosporin to cause issues. I've used it on my rabbits in the past, putting on just a thin layer, and it's never been a problem. But I guess in some sensitive rabbits it could potentially cause problems. If you're concerned about using it and it being an issue, you could consult with a vet, or just use a plain oil like coconut or olive oil for moistening the skin. It won't have the antibacterial properties of neosporin to stop potential infection. Though the astringent tea and honey that you've been using, can help some with that.

If it is a scab, I wouldn't try and pick it off, unless it's actually blocking the anal opening. Then I would remove it and prevent it reforming over the opening by using a compress to stop the bleeding, then when it's clotted, applying the ointment/oil on the skin afterwards. Also, putting a layer of oil or ointment on there should help loosen and possibly prevent more poop from sticking.

After using the chamomile Tea I have a hard time fluffing/drying the area as The bunny starts popping all over. Any suggestions?
I also got a gel spray for bunnies that’s an antibiotic ointment so keeping the area moist now. Things are looking good and I’m seeing evidence of poo and pee.

That is a problem with those babies. They're like little popcorn balls, can pop right out of your hand. You could try gently wrapping a cloth around the upper body so he can't squirm too much, then using a hair drier on low heat to dry the fur around the bum. You just have to make sure it's not too hot and overheating the skin, and also holding the baby gently enough not to result in injury. Also do this on the floor so if he does pop out of your hand, he can't fall except close to a towel right below your hand. And moisturize the rectum skin after so it isn't dried out.

My baby bunny’s eyes opened today, 13 days old-yay! Baby is doing so much better and I so appreciate all the advice on here.
I decided to move the baby to the lower level of the hutch as it was getting bigger and moving around more. What should I make available to the baby bunny? Do I need to have water for it if it is still nursing? Should I make hay, pellets, And/or alfalfa available?
What about keeping it warm? It has a blanket to snuggle in. I fear putting a warm water bottle in the cage that mama bunny might chew through!? Should it stay warm enough snuggled in a blanket in a house(we don’t want to run our house heater all night). Thanks for any input.

Our baby bunny is doing so much better. So thankful for all the help from this forum. Baby bunny’s eyes started opening today(13 days old)! We moved her from the top of the hutch to the bottom today. What food should I have available to her? Alfalfa? Pellets? Timothy hay? Do I need to have water available to her at this young age? Mom is still nursing her.
also, I want to make sure she is staying warm as the upper level seemed a little more cozy. She’s snuggled in a blanket in a little box on its side tonight. Is there anything else I should do to keep her warm? Should she be able to stay warm on her own at this age? She’s in our home in a hutch. Mom will probably stay close by. I worry about putting a warm water bottle in there as I fear mom would chew it and water would go everywhere. Thoughts?

I would just make sure the kit has a snuggly little place it can nestle into.

I wouldn't worry too much about the water dish just yet. It probably is barely starting to nibble on solid food, so will be getting it's fluids from mom still. And until it's a little more steady on it's feet, a water dish can be a drowning hazard. So maybe a shallow dish in the next week as it starts eating more solid food.

The best thing for it to start nibbling on at the start, is a good quality soft grass hay. That's the most gentle on the gut and least likely to cause digestive upset. Then gradually it can start nibbling on mom's pellets and any other food you usually feed her. I would stick with grass hay over alfalfa. If you feed an alfalfa based pellet, that provides the needed protein and calcium for growth. Feeding alfalfa hay in addition to that is too rich of a diet, and this can lead to issues like excess cecotropes being left uneaten, as well as make for a picky bunny that won't want to switch to grass hay when it becomes an adult.

Some info on what to expect with mom and kits.
https://flashsplace.webs.com/accidentallitters.htm

Now the fun begins prepare yourself for the amazing cuteness of lil zoomies and baby binkies!
Make sure to keep the baby with Mama so dont separate them. As JBun mentioned above, you won't get a fully weaned kit until around 8-12 weeks old, your kit will continue to need and try to nurse until then and needs to establish gut flora by having access to Mama's cecotropes. Not to mention Mama is showing baby the ropes of how to live a proper bunny life.
Personally I have used a blend of alfalfa and Timothy hay pellets when my does had a litter and used strictly Timothy hay. I have paper towel tube toys that I make & fill with the botanical hay blend from oxbow as a novelty treat for them as well. Just remember that they are curious animals and learn through their mouths quite a bit so keep a special eye when letting baby out with mom for playtime and that the area is clear of cords and such. Anything you give to Mama the lil one will likely be interested in to and investigative nibbles are sure to follow.
I have often used just regular water bottles of hard plastic like an Aquafina one and filled it with warm water or even freeze them during summer when we have heat spikes. They can't really get a good grip to chew on them so not an issue in that regard but good to keep around at least one. They all like to play with them though and lick them when they're cold. The baby should be able to snuggle in with mama if it wants to so it shouldn't be a problem for now. Lots of hay access will keep her body temp up and they will share body heat by cuddling.

The time is variable on when the kit is weaned...it’s really up to the doe. We’ve had some does who had enough by 5-6 weeks and with a few we finally had to take the kits away because mom kept nursing. Generally, once eyes are open they’ll be much more active and by 3-4 weeks they’re nibbling on mom’s pellets and drinking water. Your kit has a pretty good coat of hair now so temps aren’t quite as critical, especially if they’re in the house.

Thanks everyone for all the valuable information. Our little kit is changing so much each day! I put a small cardboard box in the hutch with a blanket and hay for sleeping. Tonight the baby is nibbling on the cardboard box. It happens to be the one that you get from Costco with the magnesium salts in it so the outer layer is all blue red and white. I’m curious if nibbling on cardboard boxes will mess this little tiny one up pretty quickly. Especially since I didn’t put just a regular cardboard box it actually has a lot of print on it. Should I be concerned?

If' it's actually trying to ingest the cardboard, yes that could be a problem, regardless of whether it's a paper print or smooth printed cardboard(added plastics I believe, makes it more of a risk if ingested). A little bit of paper(not smooth printed) cardboard ingested by adults usually isn't an issue, but excessive ingestion or ingestion of large chunks can pose a gut blockage risk, as cardboard doesn't break down in the digestive tract. And with this baby being tiny and new to ingesting solid food, ingesting cardboard would seem an even greater risk to me. It should be nibbling on grass hay as it's first food and for roughage/fiber. If it won't leave the box alone, either try a different box(maybe that one tastes good for some reason) or use a plastic bin or wood box.

If' it's actually trying to ingest the cardboard, yes that could be a problem, regardless of whether it's a paper print or smooth printed cardboard(added plastics I believe, makes it more of a risk if ingested). A little bit of paper(not smooth printed) cardboard ingested by adults usually isn't an issue, but excessive ingestion or ingestion of large chunks can pose a gut blockage risk, as cardboard doesn't break down in the digestive tract. And with this baby being tiny and new to ingesting solid food, ingesting cardboard would seem an even greater risk to me. It should be nibbling on grass hay as it's first food and for roughage/fiber. If it won't leave the box alone, either try a different box(maybe that one tastes good for some reason) or use a plastic bin or wood box.
Thanks. We’ll keep an eye on it and swap out if need be.

Latest posts

Back