13 day old kit with eye infection

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daffy

Reaction score
The kits eyes all opened two days ago and todayI noticed that one had its eye closed shut and a bit gungy.The area is also quite swollen. I took it to the vet todaywho has given me a Fucithalmic eye cream to be applied twice aday. I did a google search on rabbit eye infections and thesite i read says it should be treated with an oral antibiotic as theinfection is close to the brain. I'm now worried that I'm notusing the right treatment on such a young bunny. Has anyonehad a similar experience or advice?

thanks

So, the kit originally had opened it's eyes and the eye got gunked up later?

I don't know much about treating babies, but I'd stick with theointment for now as long as you trust your vet with treatingrabbits. Oral antibiotics can sometimes be too strong forsuch a young baby, although I have seen some do well with them.

I've never heard of an eye infection crossing to the brain.Can you give the link for this site? Usually there's quite afew natural protections in place.

Eye infections can sometimes be linked to upper respiratory infectionsbecause the tear ducts drain into the throat. Watch for arunny nose, sneezing, or breathing problems.

If you do get an oral antibiotic I know thatChlorpalm is a safe antibiotic for babies. It's what I fed mylittle hand fed baby.

There is a great risk of upsetting the tummies of thebabies. My little foster didn't make it b/c of severediarrhea.

But it is the least upsetting to the tummy.

Just make sure to be very vigilant and stop medicine immediatly if diarrhea appears.

--Dawn

naturestee wrote:
So, the kit originally had opened it's eyes and the eye got gunked up later?

I don't know much about treating babies, but I'd stick with theointment for now as long as you trust your vet with treatingrabbits. Oral antibiotics can sometimes be too strong forsuch a young baby, although I have seen some do well with them.

I've never heard of an eye infection crossing to the brain.Can you give the link for this site? Usually there's quite afew natural protections in place.

Eye infections can sometimes be linked to upper respiratory infectionsbecause the tear ducts drain into the throat. Watch for arunny nose, sneezing, or breathing problems.
Thanks very much for the reply. Yes, all eyes were clear untilyesterday. The link i read ishttp://www.animalhospitals-usa.com/small_pets/rabbit_diseases_infections.html

I'm having to re-open his eyes by soaking the area aith a cotton bud toclear the gunk. His other eye is a little gunky but not asbad as the first.

aurora369 wrote:
If you do get an oral antibiotic I know that Chlorpalm is asafe antibiotic for babies. It's what I fed my little handfed baby.

There is a great risk of upsetting the tummies of thebabies. My little foster didn't make it b/c of severediarrhea.

But it is the least upsetting to the tummy.

Just make sure to be very vigilant and stop medicine immediatly if diarrhea appears.

--Dawn
Thanks for the info. hopefully we'll see an inprovement withthe cream beore Monday. if not I've to take him back in then.

There is the possibility of serious infectionspreading - but you started treatment immediately, so right now I thinkyou are fine treating it topically.

Eye infections may sometimes be chronic and may also advance quickly,resulting in loss of the eye, so monitor the situation closely.

Pam

Thanks all for the replies.:) Theworst affected eye is now beginning to show signs of improvement andthe other eye is nowclear:bunnydance:Wewere back at the vetstoday and he is happy with the way things are progressing.

Latest posts

Back