12yo buns w/ tooth/jaw abscess

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crie

Reaction score
Clara is almost 12 years old and has quite a few old lady issues-- arthritis, micro cracks in spine, blindness, no ears, 3 legs, and a super sassy 'tude.

Her newest issue is an abscess on her bottom jaw/cheek tooth. Out of everything, THIS is what is going to take her out.

We noticed it December 6th, and the doctor said there was nothing we could do. She advised against surgery and put her on 2 weeks of PenG Procain injections and Baytril (of course this was pointless, as it did nothing). Her doctor said to love her and keep her comfortable until she passes away.

Found another doctor, and on January 19th was put on Zythromax for 30 days, pellets and critical care to get weight up, and then plan to lightly sedate her to open the abcess, drain it, keep it open for a few days, and then cross our fingers (as all the stories I'm reading have ended poorly with this method).

I talked to the new doctor about Bicillin and she is VERY against it as she says it completely stops a rabbits gut. Clara had issues with that when she was receiving injections for those 2 weeks (and that was just 2x a week). BUT, I also did not have her on probiotics at the time.

She has had 2 doses of Zythomax and it's destroying her, so the doctor said to stop right away and start Baytril again tomorrow, and we'll get her in soon to drain the abcess.

Help me out rabbit people!!! I know at 12, Clara has lived a good long life, but I know she's not done with me quite yet (let's be real, our rabbits own us!). So what do I do? Where do I go from here? What have people had success with when it comes to these a-hole abscesses?

I should also note, the goal here isn't to totally rid of the abcess, as I know that's probably not realistic. I can't imagine she will live another year, or even 6 months (but I sure hope!). How do I keep this thing at bay so she can live the next handful of months comfortably and continue to be a pain in my a$$?

IMG_20210509_072140_687.jpg

I had a rabbit with teeth problems and my vet referred me to a vet in St. Paul, Dr. Andrew Bean. He works at Animal Emergency and Referral Center of Minnesota. He also has a place in Oakdale. I talked to someone who had taken a pet to see him, and I was told that he was very good, but also very expensive. My vet wanted me to get a CT Scan. I found another vet who did the surgery with just x-rays. I am finding it very hard to get appointments with any vets at this time, because they are all so busy. If there is no chance of one of my rabbits recovering from an illness, and I believe the rabbit is in pain, then I put them to sleep if I don't believe that I can do a good job of managing the pain.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

I had a rabbit with teeth problems and my vet referred me to a vet in St. Paul, Dr. Andrew Bean. He works at Animal Emergency and Referral Center of Minnesota. He also has a place in Oakdale. I talked to someone who had taken a pet to see him, and I was told that he was very good, but also very expensive. My vet wanted me to get a CT Scan. I found another vet who did the surgery with just x-rays. I am finding it very hard to get appointments with any vets at this time, because they are all so busy. If there is no chance of one of my rabbits recovering from an illness, and I believe the rabbit is in pain, then I put them to sleep if I don't believe that I can do a good job of managing the pain.

Sorry I can't be of more help.
How do you put the rabbit to sleep? Thank you

How do you put the rabbit to sleep? Thank you

I reckon this question isn't without a reason.

Find a vet you trust. Talk with them about the proceedure before deciding.
My experience was that my rabbit got sedated while I was feeding him treats on my lap, when he was completly passed out he got the lethal injection. I was crying through the whole thing and closed my eyes when the vet did it , first time I was glad about that mask mandate.

With rabbits I'm not too attached to I do it myself, a bullet to the brain.

Last edited:
Is your rabbit on reglan or another gi motility drug and a pain med such as meloxicam? I am sosorry for all you and your bunny are going through.

I reckon this question isn't without a reason.

Find a vet you trust. Talk with them about the proceedure before deciding.
My experience was that my rabbit got sedated while I was feeding him treats on my lap, when he was completly passed out he got the lethal injection. I was crying through the whole thing and closed my eyes when the vet did it , first time I was glad about that mask mandate.

With rabbits I'm not too attached to I do it myself, a bullet to the brain.
It actually is for future reference.. my bunny is only 4 years old now. But God forbid someday she has problems that are causing suffering I want her to be free from suffering.

Ava had an abscess behind her eye and still has abscesses in her lungs that can't be removed due to the location. They had to go in and get the abscess behind her eye due to it pushing the eye out. The abscesses in her lungs, they're slowing the progression with on and off courses of injectable penicillin. She's doing very well with this course of action and is happy and energetic. I'd talk to your vet, but maybe Clara's pain could be managed and the spread of infection slowed with antibiotics. I think the most important thing is to see how Clara's coping and see what the vet thinks.

Thank you for all of your responses! I just had Clara to the vet agaib a few days ago to assess her pain level, as I obviously don't want her to be suffering. The doctor said she doesn't thing she's too uncomfortable right now, and to keep an eye on her weight and eating habits.

Clara is currently only eating about 2 scoops of pellets a week (so, not much), and a handful of choice hay strands. I'm substituting with critical care, but she doesn't love it.

That said, I'm just going to keep an eye on her, and when I feel her weight is consistently declining, or she starts to refuse even soft foods, I'll have to make THE call. ...man, she's the most resilient little thing. 😔

They have different flavors of critical care if you want to see if she’ll like a different one better. My bunny hates at the oxbow “apple-banana flavor,” for example but he doesn’t mind the oxbow “papaya” flavor.

Do you have access to a yard with wild grass? Or a grocery with wheat grass? Would consider planting grass seed then letting Clara eat it. Our bunny with tooth problems will start eating if i give her kale and trimmed lawn grass. Wishing the best for you and for Clara.

Latest posts

Back