12 WK OLD UNALTERED LITTER TRAINING HELP

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beealexandria

Reaction score
hello everyone!
I am have been ghosting this site for some time in preparation for my bunny and Saturday she finally came home! Doris is a 12 week old white blue eyed holland lop and I am absolutely in love! So for my questions, is there anyway to somewhat litter train before being spayed? I have her appointment set for April when she will be 6months but just want to know if there were any tips on litter training before then. I have her in a roughly 3.5x5 foot playpen, she has yoga mats as flooring over hardwood, cat litter box with lots of hay and bedding. she didn't have a litter box at the breeder but she has been using it very well but then she will randomly poop all over and peed twice outside the litter box. I was thinking that could be territorial because i keep cleaning wherever she goes as soon as she does it and whenever i take her out of her pen to sweep and wipe down mats i can tell she gets an attitude and jumps right back in lol. so maybe she just really likes her area and wants it to smell like her? how do you tell the difference between territorial droppings or just undeveloped potty habits

Sounds like she is doing well already. I wouldn't stress about it too much. Once she's spayed, she'll likely do better. Even rabbits that litter train as babies may forget that training with the onset of hormones. So don't worry if it gets worse before her spay.

In the meantime, just wipe up any urine misses and place the soiled paper towel under the litter in her box. I'd leave the stray poos. Those are commonly left around the cage area - especially as she stakes claim to her territory. Cleaning up too much may just encourage her to mark all the more.

Once she's spayed she may still leave the occasional poos about. Even a potty trained rabbit is very rarely 100% with poos. Thankfully they are odorless and easy enough to sweep up.

Congrats on your new bunny! (I used to have a white, blue-eyed rabbit -- hence my username ;) )

If they pee in a box, consider them as trained. Poop is why I have a big shop vac as they are not so reliable even though they do always pee in a litter box. When we got a new rescue, we'd put a pan in the right corner with a hay rack just above. If they used the other corner we'd just move everything. Worked well for us.

If they pee in a box, consider them as trained. Poop is why I have a big shop vac as they are not so reliable even though they do always pee in a litter box. When we got a new rescue, we'd put a pan in the right corner with a hay rack just above. If they used the other corner we'd just move everything. Worked well for us.

So yesterday when i came home from work she hadn't peed outside the litter box at all! and there were just a few random poops!!! that was very exciting! I think i was invading her space to much. i even got my first zoomie! Thank you all for the advice.

Latest posts

Back