11yr old bunny with overgrown tumor...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dianespencer

Reaction score
Hi there..I'm at loss on what to do...
I have a bonded pair bunnies. The male, Buck and the female,Whitey. They are both 11 years old, rescued them from when they are babies.

In March, we noticed a lump on Buck and due to Covid, we couldn't get him to available vet in our area. By end of May, we got him to the vet but was told that surgery is not advised due to his age and the type of cancer he has. Its on his bone according to the vet.

He gave meloxidyl for when Buck starts showing signs of pain.
2 weeks after the vet visit, the tumor grown so big that he couldn't balance himself anymore. By the 3rd week, he couldn't even walk. Just laying down on one spot and because the tour got so big, he had to lie down with his head facing one side while his hindlegs facing the other. Since he's not able to move, he's not able to eat on his own.

We started syringe feeding him critical care 3 times a day. He eats his carrots and apples and collard greens, just not as much anymore. He drinks a lot of water when given through the syringe but it seems like he almost immediately peed it out.

His bonded pair Whitey been grooming him and laying by his side most of the time but today she did something weird. She started nipping his fur where the tumor is and now there is a wound. Anyone knows why she's doing that? Should I separate them?(they have never been separated the whole 11 years.)

And anyone experienced in taking care of a sick bunny like my case? Any advice what more I could do to help my baby? I'm stressed and worried, I'm barely sleeping knowing what's going on with my baby....please help...

Attachments

• 20201017_054320.jpg
    20201017_054320.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 15
  • 20201017_054430.jpg
    20201017_054430.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 14
  • 20201009_145201.jpg
    20201009_145201.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 13
  • 20180918_115432.jpg
    20180918_115432.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 14
I'm so sorry about Buck! This is so sad and hard! I am praying that he will be healed and that you will not be stressed.

Push Whitey away when she starts biting that spot. I would not separate them unless she gets won't stop. If you do separate them, do not put them in different rooms. Place a playpen between them so that they can smell each other and see each other, but she can't bite him.

Because of his age, it might be best to humanely put him down. I know that is an awful topic, but since he is in so much pain and is suffering I think that would be the best thing to do. Or, ask your vet you could do the surgery and see how he does if he makes it. What type of cancer does he have?
Here is a link that might help: MediRabbit

Hi there..I'm at loss on what to do...
I have a bonded pair bunnies. The male, Buck and the female,Whitey. They are both 11 years old, rescued them from when they are babies.

In March, we noticed a lump on Buck and due to Covid, we couldn't get him to available vet in our area. By end of May, we got him to the vet but was told that surgery is not advised due to his age and the type of cancer he has. Its on his bone according to the vet.

He gave meloxidyl for when Buck starts showing signs of pain.
2 weeks after the vet visit, the tumor grown so big that he couldn't balance himself anymore. By the 3rd week, he couldn't even walk. Just laying down on one spot and because the tour got so big, he had to lie down with his head facing one side while his hindlegs facing the other. Since he's not able to move, he's not able to eat on his own.

We started syringe feeding him critical care 3 times a day. He eats his carrots and apples and collard greens, just not as much anymore. He drinks a lot of water when given through the syringe but it seems like he almost immediately peed it out.

His bonded pair Whitey been grooming him and laying by his side most of the time but today she did something weird. She started nipping his fur where the tumor is and now there is a wound. Anyone knows why she's doing that? Should I separate them?(they have never been separated the whole 11 years.)

And anyone experienced in taking care of a sick bunny like my case? Any advice what more I could do to help my baby? I'm stressed and worried, I'm barely sleeping knowing what's going on with my baby....please help...
it’s so sad 11 years is such a good age you have clearly looked after them well. I have a 10 year old lion head he’s doing well but I always dread the time when he gets sick. But if I were you I would chance the surgery. Only your vet can advise best. It will be so hard for the other rabbit if you lose him. Looking at pics he looks so uncomfortable. I wish you the best

I've no idea really but wondering if the vet would be willing to remove enough to allow Buck to move around or if that would only prolong the issue. Either way you have our empathy and prayers.

I haven't had to deal with a tumor, but have had an old bun with progressing health issues. It can be hard to know what to do when these health problems start to affect their mobility and eventually their quality of life.

Because the tumor is affecting your buns mobility so dramatically, if the vet is willing and the cost of surgery isn't an issue, I think I would be inclined to request to go ahead with the surgery. Yes, his age does make it a risk, and also the location of the tumor, but it sounds like he can no longer really even function because of the size of the tumor, so it seems like it has now become a necessary risk to do the surgery to remove the lump.

Animals can sense when something is wrong. So his bun partner has probably noticed the change, as well as his fur and skin in that area being different and is likely doing what rabbits do, trying to groom the area and remove what she senses is different there.

I'm really sorry you are faced with this difficult issue and hope a good solution can be found for your boy.

To all that took time to reply, I sincerely appreciate it. Buck has been on pain meds and we eventually made the call to set up an appointment to put him to sleep on Monday.
I was restless and full of anxiety preparing myself mentally and emotionally for the next day. So on Sunday, we spend so much time with him, cuddles, treats, head rubs etc.
He was surprisingly very hungry today. He ate off all his strawberries, grapes, apples, collard greens, bok choy and 60ml of critical care.

That was around noon. When he's full, I held him on my chest like a baby for a little while and put him back in his bed. Around 2pm when I went in to check in on him and realized he had passed on. His body was still warm and limpy. His heart no longer beats. His nose is not moving, neither was he.

So he had crossed the rainbow bridge today in his sleep, on his bed, in his own home with a belly full of treats. I couldn't ask for more. I rather this than have to bring him to somewhere unfamiliar to put him down.

I appreciate all the advise and help and support while I was all over the place. Now I have Whitey , his bonded mate to focus on. I ordered a small playpen to have her in the living room with us when we are up. Ordered some interactive toys too hoping it would distract and keep her busy. I left a plush bunny doll in there with her too and she has been grooming and laying next to it since we took Buck's body out of the room. We did leave his body with her. They say to leave it for 3 hours but she left the body after an hour. I guess she already knew he was sick and a week prior, we had to put him on the other side of the fence so she won't nip on the tumor on his body. So the separation might have helped in a way. She kissed, groomed and lay down next to Buck's body for an hour and then left it alone.

So thank you everyone for being so helpful and kind.

I am so sorry for your loss. That's truly heartbreaking. I really hope you can find peace in knowing he went on his own terms, well-fed, and surrounded by his favorite people and bunny. I think he was probably one of the luckiest bunnies out there, to be loved, cherished, and spoiled for 11 years. He was so fortunate to have you.

😭 so sorry for you! How bitter sweet... it's tough to lose a fur baby. The way you described his last day, it sounds like he had a good one. You have my condolences.

What a great way to say goodbye, indeed a good farewell! I have noticed that some animals, sensing the end, seem to try to hang on and start eating frequently. I saw that with my birds mostly. Seems that when they have a great life with their humans and other animals in the house, they want to hang on to that as long as they can. What a pleasant memory to carry of his last moments with you. Two 11 yr old bunnies is more than genetics, it is a loving and caring home with an owner that is so in tune with her charges, she can address any issues with swiftness!

Just in case, I don't know where you live but there are several services in my area that would come to my home to aid my bunny over the bridge when it becomes necessary. You might want to check in your area.

I found out about the service when, back in June, I noticed a growth of some sort (I thought it was a prolapsed rectum at first). It looked bad, oozing sticky fluid and so enlarged I could not understand why he was not grinding teeth in pain. Houdini is 12+ and shows all signs of aging with wobbly walk and stance, splaying leg upon sitting, poopy butt, cecals in fur, etc. When the vet saw this growth, after showing awe that he was still with me, she declared that this growth might just be what does it for him. I began searching for info on euthanasia, cremation, etc. Every day wondering when to make the decision. I began wondering if there was an infection that was aggravating the swollen growth so we did antibiotics for weeks. Metacam for pain in larger dose than what I was giving him for arthritis. June came and went, July...November is here and so is Houdini. About 5 or so weeks from the onset of noticing the growth, it retreated back in! I don't have any idea what caused it to do that. Neither does the vet. The growth is still there but is not blocking urine or stools. I am still on the alert as to when to make a decision. Some would say his quality of life is suffering. Well, so is mine with the pain from herniated discs but I manage the pain. I don't expect a 12 yrs old bun to binky or jump on my bed, sit on hind legs and all the things that are tied to "quality of life". He still fast strolls when the Metacam syringe is in my hand, and the baby carrot and other greens. He enjoys long petting sessions and I have accepted his limitations and when I weigh euthanasia into the picture, it feels like I would be doing it for my convenience mostly. I do feel other owners would have chosen to PTS as soon as the growth was visible, I came close. No one would have thought the angry looking growth would have retreated without surgery. I now wonder if there are other signs of pain, other than teeth grinding and loafing that I am missing. It is a tough state to be for both of us. I am hoping that he crosses the bridge in the same state of contentment your baby did, I am praying for that.
much love to you and your other bun!

So sorry for your loss. Eleven years is a long time. My twelve year old bunny passed away over three years ago and I still mourn her so much, but I know she lived a happy life and she always felt loved as I am sure your rabbits feel the same.

I do agree that they sometimes sense the end and eat more because they want to hang on. My bunny did that. I can remember her being so excited over some banana and standing up for it the day before she died. I walked around holding her and she stared into my eyes as she always did. No doubt in my mind that our bunnies love us too.

So sorry for your loss. It sounds like your fur baby went peacefully. 11yrs of a wonderful life and now binkying around with all the other fur babies. Xx

Latest posts

Back