Quantcast

11yr old bunny with overgrown tumor...

Help Support RabbitsOnline:

Dianespencer

Reaction score
Hi there..I'm at loss on what to do...
I have a bonded pair bunnies. The male, Buck and the female,Whitey. They are both 11 years old, rescued them from when they are babies.

In March, we noticed a lump on Buck and due to Covid, we couldn't get him to available vet in our area. By end of May, we got him to the vet but was told that surgery is not advised due to his age and the type of cancer he has. Its on his bone according to the vet.

He gave meloxidyl for when Buck starts showing signs of pain.
2 weeks after the vet visit, the tumor grown so big that he couldn't balance himself anymore. By the 3rd week, he couldn't even walk. Just laying down on one spot and because the tour got so big, he had to lie down with his head facing one side while his hindlegs facing the other. Since he's not able to move, he's not able to eat on his own.

We started syringe feeding him critical care 3 times a day. He eats his carrots and apples and collard greens, just not as much anymore. He drinks a lot of water when given through the syringe but it seems like he almost immediately peed it out.

His bonded pair Whitey been grooming him and laying by his side most of the time but today she did something weird. She started nipping his fur where the tumor is and now there is a wound. Anyone knows why she's doing that? Should I separate them?(they have never been separated the whole 11 years.)

And anyone experienced in taking care of a sick bunny like my case? Any advice what more I could do to help my baby? I'm stressed and worried, I'm barely sleeping knowing what's going on with my baby....please help...

Attachments

Mariam+Theo

Reaction score
I'm so sorry about Buck! This is so sad and hard! I am praying that he will be healed and that you will not be stressed.

Push Whitey away when she starts biting that spot. I would not separate them unless she gets won't stop. If you do separate them, do not put them in different rooms. Place a playpen between them so that they can smell each other and see each other, but she can't bite him.

Because of his age, it might be best to humanely put him down. I know that is an awful topic, but since he is in so much pain and is suffering I think that would be the best thing to do. Or, ask your vet you could do the surgery and see how he does if he makes it. What type of cancer does he have?
Here is a link that might help: MediRabbit

Howard cordingley

Reaction score
Hi there..I'm at loss on what to do...
I have a bonded pair bunnies. The male, Buck and the female,Whitey. They are both 11 years old, rescued them from when they are babies.

In March, we noticed a lump on Buck and due to Covid, we couldn't get him to available vet in our area. By end of May, we got him to the vet but was told that surgery is not advised due to his age and the type of cancer he has. Its on his bone according to the vet.

He gave meloxidyl for when Buck starts showing signs of pain.
2 weeks after the vet visit, the tumor grown so big that he couldn't balance himself anymore. By the 3rd week, he couldn't even walk. Just laying down on one spot and because the tour got so big, he had to lie down with his head facing one side while his hindlegs facing the other. Since he's not able to move, he's not able to eat on his own.

We started syringe feeding him critical care 3 times a day. He eats his carrots and apples and collard greens, just not as much anymore. He drinks a lot of water when given through the syringe but it seems like he almost immediately peed it out.

His bonded pair Whitey been grooming him and laying by his side most of the time but today she did something weird. She started nipping his fur where the tumor is and now there is a wound. Anyone knows why she's doing that? Should I separate them?(they have never been separated the whole 11 years.)

And anyone experienced in taking care of a sick bunny like my case? Any advice what more I could do to help my baby? I'm stressed and worried, I'm barely sleeping knowing what's going on with my baby....please help...
it’s so sad 11 years is such a good age you have clearly looked after them well. I have a 10 year old lion head he’s doing well but I always dread the time when he gets sick. But if I were you I would chance the surgery. Only your vet can advise best. It will be so hard for the other rabbit if you lose him. Looking at pics he looks so uncomfortable. I wish you the best

Milyvan

Reaction score
I've no idea really but wondering if the vet would be willing to remove enough to allow Buck to move around or if that would only prolong the issue. Either way you have our empathy and prayers.

JBun

Jenny - Health & Wellness Mod
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I haven't had to deal with a tumor, but have had an old bun with progressing health issues. It can be hard to know what to do when these health problems start to affect their mobility and eventually their quality of life.

Because the tumor is affecting your buns mobility so dramatically, if the vet is willing and the cost of surgery isn't an issue, I think I would be inclined to request to go ahead with the surgery. Yes, his age does make it a risk, and also the location of the tumor, but it sounds like he can no longer really even function because of the size of the tumor, so it seems like it has now become a necessary risk to do the surgery to remove the lump.

Animals can sense when something is wrong. So his bun partner has probably noticed the change, as well as his fur and skin in that area being different and is likely doing what rabbits do, trying to groom the area and remove what she senses is different there.

I'm really sorry you are faced with this difficult issue and hope a good solution can be found for your boy.

Latest posts