Unknown bunny breed

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I got another rabbit two weeks ago and i am wondering what breed he is. He is 2.2 pounds and 7 months old. The shelter told us American but those get really big 9-11lbs. So I am positive it’s not, maybe dwarf American ( if that’s a breed?)4EFCB867-2889-415A-9FD8-646C9B47516D.jpegEA9FE901-E1B4-47E4-8121-53DCD707797B.jpeg

His ears are too big to be either of those breeds. And face the wrong shape. He is likely neither a Hotot or N. Dwarf.
And having colour around the eye is common in a lot of broken colour rabbits, that is not what a Hotots eyes would look like.

Rabbits are not like dogs where they are easy to see specific breeds. Once their mixed they are just that, mixed.

He is simply just a mixed breed dwarf.

His ears are too big to be either of those breeds. And face the wrong shape. He is likely neither a Hotot or N. Dwarf.
And having colour around the eye is common in a lot of broken colour rabbits, that is not what a Hotots eyes would look like.

Rabbits are not like dogs where they are easy to see specific breeds. Once their mixed they are just that, mixed.

He is simply just a mixed breed dwarf.

His ears are the same size as a hotot just not a dwarf hotot ( whoops didn’t mean to put dwarf hotot in last post ) his eyes do look like hotot with that shape and the color around the eye leads into thinking hotot because of the ears and eyes. I may be wrong just what I think… not an expert.

His ears are the same size as a hotot just not a dwarf hotot ( whoops didn’t mean to put dwarf hotot in last post ) his eyes do look like hotot with that shape and the color around the eye leads into thinking hotot because of the ears and eyes. I may be wrong just what I think… not an expert.
Incorrect. They are still too big.
And his eye ring is not correct for a hotot rabbit either. Hotots have very thin black eyeliner. Very different to what your rabbit has.
Most rabbits who have a broken colour pattern (like him) have some sort of eye ring. This does not make them hotots however.

Blanc de hotots ears aren't just larger, their whole bodies are. They are a much larger breed than d. hotots. Also blanc de hotots and d. hotots bred to standard, don't have colored ears but would be white. And this is speaking from some experience, as I have dwarf hotots that were bred to show standards.

I got another rabbit two weeks ago and i am wondering what breed he is. He is 2.2 pounds and 7 months old. The shelter told us American but those get really big 9-11lbs. So I am positive it’s not, maybe dwarf American ( if that’s a breed?)

Without having an actual pedigree from a trusted breeder, you can't really know for sure, even if a rabbit looks to be a specific breed. I would say some dwarf based on the head shape and size of the rabbit. But that coloring, including having coloring around the eyes, doesn't necessarily point to a specific breed, including d. hotot. Especially since the fur is brown, and chocolate d. hotots are pretty rare still I believe. Could possibly be a mismarked chocolate d. hotot or a n. dwarf with longer ears outside the breed standard, mix of both, mix of one with something else, or neither breed and is a mix of some other rabbits.

Even inside the breed of d. hotot and n. dwarf, there can be such a variety that you may not think it's the breed it is. There are d. hotots that come out looking nothing like the breed standard, that are mismarked, or have sport markings and look more like a dutch mixed rabbit when they are really d. hotots. Then you can have dwarf rabbits coming out larger than the breed standard and are 3 lbs or over that are generally referred to as false dwarfs, or with a different head shape than standard dwarfs, or with longer ears than the standard.

I had a pure bred d. hotot that was a false dwarf at over 3 lbs and had a more pointed nose and longer ears than his siblings, but he was a d. hotot with all of the d. hotot standard markings. His brother is a standard size d. hotot with sport markings and that looked nothing like him. And his mom, sister, and another 2 brothers all had the standard d. hotot markings, body size, and short ears within the breed standard. So a variety even in just one litter.

So with your rabbit, you can probably say he's a n. dwarf if you want, since he pretty much looks like one even though he has longer than the standard ears, but there's no way to know for sure. And even then, pure bred just means that the rabbit has a pedigree back 3 generations, of rabbits that generally met most of the breed standards.

All rabbits, even 'purebred' ones, are really just a mix of different breeds to get to what the breed standards are today. Dwarf hotots were mixes of n. dwarf, blanc de hotot, and dutch rabbits. And those rabbit breeds will have their own mixed breed genetics too. All originating from the european wild rabbit.

Last edited:
Blanc de hotots ears aren't just larger, their whole bodies are. They are a much larger breed than d. hotots. Also blanc de hotots and d. hotots bred to standard, don't have colored ears but would be white. And this is speaking from some experience, as I have dwarf hotots that were bred to show standards.

Without having an actual pedigree from a trusted breeder, you can't really know for sure, even if a rabbit looks to be a specific breed. I would say some dwarf based on the head shape and size of the rabbit. But that coloring, including having coloring around the eyes, doesn't necessarily point to a specific breed, including d. hotot. Especially since the fur is brown, and chocolate d. hotots are pretty rare still I believe. Could possibly be a mismarked chocolate d. hotot or a n. dwarf with longer ears outside the breed standard, mix of both, mix of one with something else, or neither breed and is a mix of some other rabbits.

Even inside the breed of d. hotot and n. dwarf, there can be such a variety that you may not think it's the breed it is. There are d. hotots that come out looking nothing like the breed standard, that are mismarked, or have sport markings and look more like a dutch mixed rabbit when they are really d. hotots. Then you can have dwarf rabbits coming out larger than the breed standard and are 3 lbs or over that are generally referred to as false dwarfs, or with a different head shape than standard dwarfs, or with longer ears than the standard.

I had a pure bred d. hotot that was a false dwarf at over 3 lbs and had a more pointed nose and longer ears than his siblings, but he was a d. hotot with all of the d. hotot standard markings. His brother is a standard size d. hotot with sport markings and that looked nothing like him. And his mom, sister, and another 2 brothers all had the standard d. hotot markings, body size, and short ears within the breed standard. So a variety even in just one litter.

So with your rabbit, you can probably say he's a n. dwarf if you want, since he pretty much looks like one even though he has longer than the standard ears, but there's no way to know for sure. And even then, pure bred just means that the rabbit has a pedigree back 3 generations, of rabbits that generally met most of the breed standards.

All rabbits, even 'purebred' ones, are really just a mix of different breeds to get to what the breed standards are today. Dwarf hotots were mixes of n. dwarf, blanc de hotot, and dutch rabbits. And those rabbit breeds will have their own mixed breed genetics too. All originating from the european wild rabbit.

Yes your right, they are much bigger but I think he is a hotot mixed with netherland dwarf. As you said you can never really be sure though with a pedigree from a trusted breeder.

He could be a Himalayan Hotot mix. Here is a pic I found on Google!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-03-07 8.42.16 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-03-07 8.42.16 PM.png
    460.6 KB · Views: 0
Back