Sore hocks

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haru the Lionhead

Reaction score
Hello
I took haru to the groomer today and he showed me her feet
I can’t look at them at home.
It looks like sore hocks.
What can i do about it, and is it serious?
It’s only in one foot and she free roams I’m not sure how she got it

Attachments

• IMG_7953.jpeg
    IMG_7953.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1
It depends if it just has a callus or if it's irritated and inflamed, or if there's a wound.

If it's just a callus, I would leave it alone and keep an eye on it. If it's inflamed, keep an eye on it for it worsening, and make changes to your rabbits flooring. Booties or rabbit socks may also be an option. If there's a wound, proper bandaging to protect the foot, and rabbit safe antibacterial cream and possibly rabbit safe systemic antibiotic.

https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Sore_hocks

www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Mechanical/Pod/Podo.htm

If your rabbits area has hard or rough flooring, these will likely need some changes where ever possible, to something softer, at least in the key areas where your rabbit spends the most time. Most carpet in particular, can be very abrasive to their feet.

Also rule out other possible causes and treat accordingly. Like nails growing too long (shifts rabbits balance from centered to back on the heels). Arthritis, obesity, injury, hip problems, or spinal issues affecting your rabbits mobility. Also possible fungal dermatitis affecting the skin and causing irritation and fur loss.

It depends if it just has a callus or if it's irritated and inflamed, or if there's a wound.

If it's just a callus, I would leave it alone and keep an eye on it. If it's inflamed, keep an eye on it for it worsening, and make changes to your rabbits flooring. Booties or rabbit socks may also be an option. If there's a wound, proper bandaging to protect the foot, and rabbit safe antibacterial cream and possibly rabbit safe systemic antibiotic.

If your rabbits area has hard or rough flooring, these will likely need some changes where ever possible, to something softer, at least in the key areas where your rabbit spends the most time. Most carpet in particular, can be very abrasive to their feet.

Also rule out other possible causes and treat accordingly. Like nails growing too long (shifts rabbits balance from centered to back on the heels). Arthritis, obesity, injury, hip problems, or spinal issues affecting your rabbits mobility. Also possible fungal dermatitis affecting the skin and causing irritation and fur loss.
I have carpet and my bun has sore hocks it SUCKS because everywhere they like to lie down I try to put a soft padded blanket but they push it out of the way 😭 they have a cardboard house that is lined with cat scratchers and I put blankets in there and the blankets always end up pushed out of the exits 💀

I have carpet and my bun has sore hocks it SUCKS because everywhere they like to lie down I try to put a soft padded blanket but they push it out of the way 😭 they have a cardboard house that is lined with cat scratchers and I put blankets in there and the blankets always end up pushed out of the exits 💀

The socks might be an option to try. No guarantee your rabbit will keep them on, but if your bun will, it's a possible solution without changing every flooring surface in your buns area (or house if free roam). There is an RO member that makes some, lots of sellers other places online, you could make your own if you sew or someone you know does, or one member even just used regular baby socks.

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Mechanical/Pod/Socks_rabbit.pdf

The primary thing with using the socks or anything wrapped onto the feet, is making absolutely sure it's put on correctly and not too tight, or you risk serious injury to the foot. Also, the type of fabric and padding used, will impact if it's helpful to preventing sores or not.

Always consult with a knowledgeable rabbit vet if you have concerns or questions about your rabbits sore hocks, the appropriate treatment, and/or how to properly apply protective socks.

https://rabbit.org/health/how-to-find-a-rabbit-savvy-vet/

It’s red so i think it’s inflamed. And I’m not sure but it looks like a small bump? There was a small cut yesterday and i put MEBO on it and today it was gone with the yellow scab in the picture.
i cant see the cut anywhere but I’m not sure if it got better or worse.
She kept whining when I touched her foot to apply the medication. I’m worried that there might be more sores hidden under the fur but I can’t find it.
Even this one was so hard to find because the fur on her feet is long.
Is there anything else I should do for her to heal? We don’t have rabbit vets in the country

Attachments

• IMG_7967.png
    IMG_7967.png
    6.6 MB · Views: 0
It looks like it’s getting worse everyday!
I don’t have a cage so i just placed stuff around her area so she would only step on her matt and blankets.
Yesterday i saw her doing zoomies so I don’t think she’s in much pain.
I found a small spot on her other foot but it wasn’t red or anything.
This picture is of the same foot on the previous photos
I’m not sure what else I should do or what medication is better
I used MEBO once and fucidin twice.

A couple of years ago when a groomer almost cut her tail, the vet told me to use fucidin, i did it twice a day for a month and it didn’t go anything. Then they told me to use MEBO and in less than a week she was heald.

Which is why I wanted to use it on her hock as well, but I’m not sure if it’s safe for her to ingest. In her previous injury, she wasn’t able to reach and lick the medication but now she can.

Attachments

• IMG_7971.png
    IMG_7971.png
    10.2 MB · Views: 0
Without changing the floor surface to something soft enough that it will be able to heal, you'll probably have to do something to cover the foot to protect it.

You could try bandaging. It has to be done correctly and with extreme care, or the circulation to the foot could be restricted and result in serious injury to the foot. Some sort of soft sock is the other option.

https://rabbit.org/health/treating-sore-hocks/

www.medirabbit.com/EN/Surgery/Bandaging/band_foot.htm

You'll need to keep checking for any wound forming and signs of infection/abscess being present. If this happens, a rabbit safe antibacterial ointment and/or a rabbit safe systemic antibiotic will be needed to treat the infection.

Without changing the floor surface to something soft enough that it will be able to heal, you'll probably have to do something to cover the foot to protect it.

You could try bandaging. It has to be done correctly and with extreme care, or the circulation to the foot could be restricted and result in serious injury to the foot. Some sort of soft sock is the other option.

https://rabbit.org/health/treating-sore-hocks/

www.medirabbit.com/EN/Surgery/Bandaging/band_foot.htm

You'll need to keep checking for any wound forming and signs of infection/abscess being present. If this happens, a rabbit safe antibacterial ointment and/or a rabbit safe systemic antibiotic will be needed to treat the infection.
She’s been in a super padded pen for ten days now. I feel so bad for not letting her roam around the house.
Her hock doesn’t look inflamed or wounded, but it’s still not 100% okay.
If I apply medication now, I’m worried that the dry skin will become soft and peel, then it will get worse just like before.
The pen has blankets on top of blankets on top of fluffy small rugs and memory foam mats.
What do i do now? Can i let her out while covering half of the floor? Or is it not enough? I can’t put blankets all over the room. Do i keep her in the pen longer? Or is it not gonna change anything since she’s already been there for 10 days and only healed like 50%?

Back