Rabbit exhibiting destructive behavior

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacobphilips

Reaction score
Hello guys,

My rabbit is behaving strangely, it has become more aggressive and the behaviour is become destructive. I'm new to the world of rabbits. Any help will be appreciated

How old is he? What does his housing look like?

Rabbits aren't "destructive", they just use things in their environment to satisfie their urges, like chewing, digging, marking etc., that's what rabbits do. The clue to living with rabbits is to tweak this environment in a way so they don't reduce heritage furniture to splinters, surprising us with a tunnel through the couch or electrocuting us with every power cord we touch by the fine art - some would call it a science - of Bunny Proofing.

So, if something gets destroyed it's because it's where it shouldn't be, is not protected or not planned to be expendable. Ripping cardboard hidy houses to shreds isn't destructive, but entertainment and exercise.
They like gnawing a lot - but start with the good stuff. I always have some tree branches and twigs in various locations for them, more tasty then furniture.

Young rabbits can have a lot of energy, and much of what is percieved as aggression is mostly misunderstandings. They are very different to cats or dogs, and have very distinct personalities. Most don't like being picked up, one of mine after 10 years still hates being touched at all. My new boy on the other hand is all over me.

So, the more detailed you describe an issue you have with youre rabbit the better advice can be given. You'll still hear different, even oposing opinions since rabbits can be so different. It takes some patience to grow into this rabbit thing.

Age and sex? Neutered/spayed? How long have you had your rabbit? Indoors/outdoors? Any other animals/pets around? Is this a sudden change of behavior or has (s)he acted like this from the beginning? Can you describe the aggressive and destructive behavior in more detail? What is (s)he doing exactly?

Hormones, territorial behavior, fear of being in a new home, not being used to people, changes to the rabbits environment, and normal natural instincts can all be possible reasons. So the more info you can provide will better help determine the cause of the behavior.

Rabbits will be rabbits--we considered all the furniture in our family room to be "sacrificial". We have a couple of "dig" boxes full of shredded newspaper and a "cardboard castle" as well as other tubes and toys--they need to dig and chew to wear down their nails and teeth--part of their "nature"--since ours are housed inside we have to do the nails, but their hay and other things that get chewed keep the tooth growth in check. Just how it is.

Back