New Here/Getting Rid of a Rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Looking to rehome or euthanize a rabbit with behavioral problems. My husband thinks I should give this more time, but this rabbit is incorrigible and flicks urine randomly for no reason. I had a Lionhead for 10 years, and aside from aggressive behavior when he was young, he was a wonderful pet. My new rabbit is disgusting, and I want him out of my home immediately. However, I want to do so as kindly as possible.

How old is your rabbit? It sounds like he is simply hormonal. Hormones can affect different rabbits to different degrees. Hormones can cause some undesirable behaviors like urine spraying, but that typically stops after being neutered (though it can take several weeks after surgery for hormones to fully dissipate). I'd encourage you to consider your husband's thoughts and also look into getting your rabbit neutered.

It took about three months for my bunny to stop such behavior after being neutered. I know it gets so intense sometimes that you feel you made a mistake (my bunny sprayed me in the mouth once when I was talking and my mouth was open), but it really does get better. Please reconsider, and if you really feel you can’t keep him, please find a rescue to take him. He doesn’t deserve death for being an animal doing normal animal things.

Please take him to a rescue and surrender him. There is absolutely no need to euthanise him.
I consulted with all of the shelters in my area (as that would have been my first choice)- but they are full. Followed up with the person that sold him to me, and they will take him back if needed (likely for meat, fur or breeding once he is fully grown). I wanted to love him as much as my last one, but at this point I see it as a waste of time. I want nothing to do with him.

How old is your rabbit? It sounds like he is simply hormonal. Hormones can affect different rabbits to different degrees. Hormones can cause some undesirable behaviors like urine spraying, but that typically stops after being neutered (though it can take several weeks after surgery for hormones to fully dissipate). I'd encourage you to consider your husband's thoughts and also look into getting your rabbit neutered.
All of the vets in my area have said they cannot neuter him do to size/age (to answer your question, he is ten weeks old). While it may be hormonal, it’s just something that I see as too repulsive to put up with until it goes away, with or without neutering. While the most obvious solution would have been to rehome him online or through a shelter, the shelters in my area are full. Fortunately, the breeder said she would be able to take him back in a few days.

You can't euthanise him because you don't want him anymore. Can you surrender him to a vet? If not can you find a suitable home with with neighbours, friends? A facebook post in a local group advertising him as a pet ONLY? Personally for me going back to breeder would only be an option if they could guarantee he wouldn't be used for meat or fur. I guess that's your choice though. Could they not rehome him? He's only a baby.

It took about three months for my bunny to stop such behavior after being neutered. I know it gets so intense sometimes that you feel you made a mistake (my bunny sprayed me in the mouth once when I was talking and my mouth was open), but it really does get better. Please reconsider, and if you really feel you can’t keep him, please find a rescue to take him. He doesn’t deserve death for being an animal doing normal animal things.
Thank you for your detailed reply. I would also add that I was only considering euthanasia because my local shelters were full. I just want him gone by one means or another as fast as possible. However, I want to make that happen as kindly and responsibly as possible.
You can't euthanise him because you don't want him anymore. Can you surrender him to a vet? If not can you find a suitable.home.with neighbours, friends? A facebook post in a local group advertising him as a pet ONLY? Personally for me going back to breeder would only be an option if they could guarantee he wouldn't be used for meat or fur. I guess that's your choice though. Could they not rehome him? It doesn't sound like you've had him very long.
As of tomorrow, I will have had him for a week. He’s just awful, and my last one was never like that. I wouldn’t wish him on anyone expecting a companion. I don’t specifically want to send him to someone that will kill him, but I just need a guarantee for when I can get rid of him. EDIT- I want to clarify that the breeder will allow him to reach adulthood before using him for meat, fur, or breeding. Euthanasia was only something I considered as a last resort.

Last edited:
He is ten weeks old. I would consider neutering, but again, I just want him gone. He isn’t just flicking urine at us, he’s doing it constantly even when nobody is near his cage (he appears to be getting urine on his front paws, deliberately or not, and “shaking” them like someone washing their hands in a public restroom and realizing there are no paper towels). After seeing that, even my husband is having second thoughts about our new “friend”.

Flicking his paws is normal grooming behaviour. Spraying urine is normal behaviour. Is there not an experienced rabbit owner near you who understands this that can take him on?
Have you advertised him locally online to a pet home?
Just because you can't cope with him behaviour doesn't mean someone else can't.
If I was in the USA I'd snap him up in a heartbeat 😞

While I can understand your frustration at the present situation, I have to admit that I giggled a bit at reading a disgruntled "my ten-week-old is misbehaving!" (Really? A ten-week-old isn't behaving? 🤣)

Look, we've all been there. Infants have blowouts. Toddlers knock over bookshelves. Puppies chew your new shoes. Bunnies spray urine on the newly-painted wall. It sucks. Sometimes it really sucks. But we deal with it. They grow up. They always grow up.

We made the choice -- one way or another -- to take on the responsibility for a new life.

In your case, it's really not a big deal... although yeah, it's frustrating as heck. Put the kit in an area that minimizes spray mess for now, then get him neutered. That's usually viable starting around 12-16 weeks. What's a few weeks compared to a lifetime of 10 years?

These early years aren't always the most fun to deal with at the time, but they pass.

Update to anyone wondering- he didn’t like the litter box, but religiously goes in one corner of his cage sprinkled with litter. The litter absorbs the urine from the floor of his cage before he can “flick” it anywhere, so that seems to have worked itself out as well. Loki says hi.

Attachments

• IMG_2556.jpeg
    IMG_2556.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1
I'm so happy to hear that! I really appreciated your honesty about how appalling you found his behavior. Hey--we humans have these reactions.

I'm also on my 2nd bunny pet and I tend to forget all the adjustments I had to make earlier in my bun's life to smooth out our relationship.

My current bunny is perfect But I had COMPLETE amnesia about the fact that she peed in 3 different corners of my living room -- until I read your post and remembered that I had to keep moving her litter box until it was in a spot where she would use it. She also would pee in the wrong corner of her cage, and then over the side of the litter box. I literally had to go back and read my own forum posts to remember!

@wandering_spirit , your Loki is very handsome. Can you post more images of his size, or the size of his litter box? Is is one of those corner boxes? Looks like Loki will be about 7-8 lbs or more when he matures.

Oh gosh, Californians or an type of bunny, I feel they are wonderful quiet emotional support companions after those *%&# hormones get fixed!

Our sanctuary has rescued many and a couple years back we found an adopter for an unwanted Californian boy. The Californian was dumped outdoors with talon marks in his back (luckily he did not get picked up and dropped to crush all his bones*), plus he had an intestinal parasite that needed tx by our DVM.

*I just heard from our vet clinic about a Flemish who was picked up by a r.t. hawk then dropped, his hind bones completely irreparable. Person was unaware that hawks exist outside and are opportunistic predators.

Our rescue knows that shelters do euthanize if over capacity (online forums are CONSTANTLY advertising rehome needy pets) and no rescue in the area can accept more than physically manageable! I know a few in Florida that do their best to sp/euter, treat diseases, and find truly devoted homes).

I am happy to hear you and your husband know what it is like to have a baby who poos in diapers, spills things on the floor, or vomits on your clothing when sick or upchucks formula AND a toddler who gets into all kinds of trouble if you do not take appropriate steps. Sounds like you cherish your pets and will give baby hormonal jet-spraying Loki a good home! --- We had many episodes of jet-spraying males (right in your face with their urine!) and marking females prior to the sp/euter appt. at our DVM.

@samoth , you have words of wisdom wrt what babies, toddlers, and hormonal children or teens do.

wandering spirit, having pets (or children) teaches us patience and responsibility to care for another sentient being. We have a biter aggressive lionhead and she is finally mellowing and being less of an unruly child.

I look forward to more photos of Loki. Very relieved he will not be returned for meat or fur or breeding purposes. Kisses to baby boy Loki. If you need help wrt referrals for rescues, perhaps I can lend input.

We confined stray and captured boy in a small space prior to his neuter appt. Big boys can jet-spray everything (as we know from various other intake males prior to being "neutralized") and his roommate stuffie would get saturated with pee prior to his neuter appt.

Amazing how much urine will stink and the distance pee will reach prior to neutralizing.

Attachments

• HormonalRegal_MountingMale_DamnHormones_RS2.jpg
    HormonalRegal_MountingMale_DamnHormones_RS2.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 0
  • HormonalRegal_RestingWStuffieInKCab_Mar52013_RS.jpg
    HormonalRegal_RestingWStuffieInKCab_Mar52013_RS.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 0
Back