My 5 month old bunny broke her back leg

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smarshysnoopy39

Reaction score
hi everyone!

im a new bun mom and recently last week i saw my bunny, marshy, limping on her left hind leg. so i took her to the vet and it turns out she broke her leg bad (pic attached). the orthopedic vet said that fixing her leg through plates will be quite challenging as bunnies bone structure are different than cat (he mostly handles cat and dog) and he said he will consult his fellow exotic vet. she is currently eating and drinking well, her poop and pee is the usual shape and size and ive been giving her the meds given by the doctor.

im so heartbroken and worried for my baby, and there arent much rabbit savvy vet in here compared to what i read of what ppl have in the usa. does anyone has any similar cases or inputs for me? thankyou so much it will be appreciated!

IMG_0866.jpeg

If you don't have a vet experienced with safely performing surgery on rabbits, I would be very cautious choosing surgery. Putting rabbits under anesthesia needs to be done correctly and by someone experienced with rabbits.

Depending on the nature of the break, sometimes cage rest and giving the break time to heal on it's own, can be the best treatment. Especially if you don't have access to an experienced rabbit vet. Cage rest, and possibly splinting the leg, may be the best choice anyways, even if you do have an experienced rabbit vet to go to.

https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Broken_bones

www.medirabbit.com/EN/Bone_diseases/Femur_head/Femur_head.htm

Back