Help with ideas for a temporary outdoor enclosure

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Livia

Reaction score
My rabbit normally free roams indoors in my apartment but in a couple of weeks, he'll have to live outside for three weeks whilst I visit my mum since she's allergic. The plan is to build him two different enclosures one smaller one with a roof (my mum has suggested 2x2m) where he'll stay during the night. And one larger one connected to the smaller one where he can exercise during the day (this one will probably be around 10-20 meters long and wide) and wouldn't have a roof since we'll be able to supervise him during the day.
Does this enclosure sound like a good idea? or does someone here have any better suggestions?:)

Quick update of how it turned out and what it looks like during the day :)

Attachments

• DSC_1995.JPG
    DSC_1995.JPG
    6.2 MB · Views: 0
  • DSC_1996.JPG
    DSC_1996.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • DSC_0000_BURST20230802174017555_COVER.JPG
    DSC_0000_BURST20230802174017555_COVER.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Is he enclosed at night? I'm not seeing an area that is predator proof. Looks very open and vulnerable.
Yes he only has access to the roofed area during the night which is as predator proof as possible. There's a floor there and the grids are pulled in front as a wall and a net on top where the roof doesn't reach.

Predator proof is paramount. My parents had chickens which roamed during the day completely free and at night were in a double walled coop with very heavy guage wire and metal sheeting buried 2 feet into the ground--biggest problems were skunks, but they would have needed a week to dig thru the very hard clay only to find that I had put very stout wire below that. I've always felt that safety was better than regrets--plus I've always engineered things to be stronger than needed as I only want to do it once.

Predator proof is paramount. My parents had chickens which roamed during the day completely free and at night were in a double walled coop with very heavy guage wire and metal sheeting buried 2 feet into the ground--biggest problems were skunks, but they would have needed a week to dig thru the very hard clay only to find that I had put very stout wire below that. I've always felt that safety was better than regrets--plus I've always engineered things to be stronger than needed as I only want to do it once.
Yes of course, in my case it's only a temporary enclosure since I don't live here and is as safe as possible both from predators and from him getting out of it. So far it's been safe enough for two weeks and hopefully for one more. The whole property is also walled of plus a has an electric fence on top of the wall due to a lot of deer in the area. And there are no dangerous birds close by that hunt rabbits which was my main concern before seeing the enclosure.

Back