Does anyone use puppy pads with their rabbits or could suggest other alternatives to newspaper??

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Katie94

Reaction score
Hi,

I’m looking to find an alternative to newspaper that is more absorbent. Back in December one of my bunnies had to have a bladder stone removed and have never properly used the litter tray since. He tends to use newspaper but this is not very good and absorbing and he keeps getting urine on his fur.

I was thinking puppy pads might help but unsure if they would just get chewed.

Grateful for any advice/ suggestions!

Thank you 😊

Miley just has wood cat litter in her litter tray. Our guinea pigs have puppy pads in their cage, although they are under their fleece liners don't get chewed!
I can imagine if they were uncovered a rabbit would just chew them 😊

I use puppy pads for my doe who insists on urinating in a specific spot underneath my bed. I keep the door closed during the day, but she sneaks in at night. They'll get chewed (like anything else), but as long as they're not consuming them, it shouldn't be an issue.

They also work well underneath rugs for when someone doesn't feel like hopping ten inches into the litter box -- it keeps the carpet underneath protected.

Hi,

I’m looking to find an alternative to newspaper that is more absorbent. Back in December one of my bunnies had to have a bladder stone removed and have never properly used the litter tray since. He tends to use newspaper but this is not very good and absorbing and he keeps getting urine on his fur.

Thank you 😊
Could you explain this a little more? Are you shredding newspaper as litter inside a litter box or are you laying newspaper down flat on the floor like when training a puppy? Or are you using it to line a litterbox with some other type of litter on top?

Could you explain this a little more? Are you shredding newspaper as litter inside a litter box or are you laying newspaper down flat on the floor like when training a puppy? Or are you using it to line a litterbox with some other type of litter on top?
Hi blue eyes,

The paper is laid flat on the floor around the litter box. Originally it was just just to catch any spills etc from the litter box but when Eden had his bladder stone he started using the paper instead of the tray ( this was actually how we realised something was wrong!). The stone was removed but he still chooses to use the paper. We told the vet as we were worried he was still in discomfort but she explained that it’s normal for him to continue to use the paper once he’s got used to it but it’s not really fit for purpose as it’s not absorbent enough.

You could put wood litter in the litter tray, then lay the newspaper flat on top so it's familiar for him maybe?

You could put wood litter in the litter tray, then lay the newspaper flat on top so it's familiar for him maybe?
Thank you for your idea, unfortunately I would likely still have the same issue as he would be weeing directly on to the paper still. The paper takes a while to soak up urine so there is a point where he kind of ends up sitting in it. I’m looking for a replacement that has a more instant absorbing effect if that makes sense :)

Have you tried not putting paper down? He may be peeing on it just
because the paper is there and he knows he can. But once the paper is gone and it's just bare floor, does he still want to pee outside the litter box?

If he does and won't mess with the pee pads or chew them, it's an option. I had to cover my elderly bun's area when they started having trouble getting to the litter box. Sometimes they would get dug at a little, but for the most part they left them alone.

full

Have you tried not putting paper down? He may be peeing on it just
because the paper is there and he knows he can. But once the paper is gone and it's just bare floor, does he still want to pee outside the litter box?

If he does and won't mess with the pee pads or chew them, it's an option. I had to cover my elderly bun's area when they started having trouble getting to the litter box. Sometimes they would get dug at a little, but for the most part they left them alone.

full
Yes we tried to remove the paper once he’d had his stone removed to try and encourage him back in to the box but he still went in the same spot next to the tray.

I bought some puppy pads and used them for the first time last night they have not been chewed (hooray!). They are quite good as they have sticky pads underneath to secure them down so I just placed them on top of the paper. I’m hoping they will continue to leave them alone. How often do you change them usually he will do about one or two wees on them a day depending as he hasn’t completely abandoned the box.

Thank you!

Hi,

Thank you 😊
Yes! We use pee pads in the litterbox (nothing else) for our bunnies. The male chewed on the pad at first, but a few stern "No's" and he stopped. The bunnies like it, we love it... It's so much easier, cleaner, and less expensive. (We cut the pads in half to fit the litterbox). We change the pad in the morning and before bed.

Back