Bunn-safe lawn fertilizer?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Greetings,

I’m going to grow some Kentucky Bluegrass to complement Ted’s diet of Timothy hay + veggies. I tried doing a search for rabbit-safe fertilizer to keep the grass growing, but the results gave conflicting answers.

Does anyone have an informed opinion about which fertilizer is safe to use? Thanks

Greetings,

I’m going to grow some Kentucky Bluegrass to complement Ted’s diet of Timothy hay + veggies. I tried doing a search for rabbit-safe fertilizer to keep the grass growing, but the results gave conflicting answers.

Does anyone have an informed opinion about which fertilizer is safe to use? Thanks
No I don't. I would be fantastic to find one

Everything natural? Compost, bunny berries, rabbit urine....

Or just mulching used hay and greens after mowing, and spreading grass clippings from neighbours, that's how I restored my meadow from an ankle high wasteland to a lush greenery. That has by far the most positive effects on the soil compared to fertilizers.

Using hay and such will bring in weeds and all kinds of stuff, which too is a reason for me to do it, the more diversity the better. Those single species grasses are pretty much unknown here, and I wouldn't know how to farm that without dowsing everything in Glyphosat now and then to get rid of everything else.

No I don't. I would be fantastic to find one
I grow wheat grass inside the house in a microgreen tray as a treat for my rabbits.

I read somewhere on a Random’s bunny forum that fresh grass should be kept to a minimum as some domestic rabbits have issues with digestion and so, dehydrating it might be a good option.

To be extra cautious, if I decide to give my rabbits more than a small very handful at a time, I will dehydrate the microgreen grass. Keep in mind, that microgreens are more nutrient dense and so, depending on the size of your bunny, you may want to give only a pinch at a time as a special treat. My rabbits are 12 pounds and are adults with good digestions,

I might try growing a tray of fresh Timothy grass and dehydrating it as a “foodie” treat for my buns … I am not sure about Blue Grass but microgreens require no fertizer. There are lots of videos You Tube videos on how to grow wheat grass and I imagine any organic grass would grow well as a microgreen.

I am an organic gardener and we don’t have a lawn and so, my advice is just a guess on this but maybe if you do want to grow some grass for your rabbits outside, I imagine that organic veggie compost that was processed in a worm composter would be good as an organic fertilizer and ironically, bunny poo! You can always buy organic “worm poo” too … it is expensive though but it helps everything grow. Compost the bunny poo first if you have any concerns about pathogens.

Again, I don’t have experience with a lawn and so, I am just guessing on the Blue Grass but I would grow it indoors to avoid any risk of contamination of viruses or pathogenic bacteria by other animals and to avoid the possibility of chemicals drifting like car exhaust, herbicide or pesticide spraying. (Just to be safe). None of my rabbits have had GI Stasis and an ounce of prevention helps to keep everything steady. Good luck!

Latest posts

Back