Breed question

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sibelabmom

@lokibragiandtyr_buns
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I got Loki and Bragi, I was told they are Holland lops, but their faces are longer, not flat. Týr came from a different breeder, also supposed to be Holland lop, but he more fits the description, so I'm wondering now if my first two are mixes?

Attachments

• 20231002_153504.jpg
    20231002_153504.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 1
  • 20231001_223639.jpg
    20231001_223639.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Yes I think you've got a couple of mix breeds there. The last rabbit seems to look like a true Holland, the other first two rabbit's ears don't look quite like a Holland, and their faces aren't quite right.

I don't know if you would agree, but the first two rabbits have ears like an English lop or french lop

Last edited:
Yes I think you've got a couple of mix breeds there. The last rabbit seems to look like a true Holland, the other first two rabbit's ears don't look quite like a Holland, and their faces aren't quite right.

I don't know if you would agree, but the first two rabbits have ears like an English lop or french lop
No, I agree. The breeder of the first two swore he ONLY breeds Hollands, but now that Týr has joined the fluffle (I love that word), I can see there's a big difference.

No, I agree. The breeder of the first two swore he ONLY breeds Hollands, but now that Týr has joined the fluffle (I love that word), I can see there's a big difference.
unless the first 2 Buns have another kind of lop in their gene history besides Holland. It is possible I suppose their grandparents might have been another kind of lop.

It just seems weird their faces and ears look like that when they are meant to be Holland

Hollands are a Dwarf breed, right? Could they be just false dwarfs (no dwarf gene, true dwarfs have 1, peanuts 2)

Hollands are a Dwarf breed, right? Could they be just false dwarfs (no dwarf gene, true dwarfs have 1, peanuts 2)
They don't have the same facial characteristics at all. Týr, the black one, totally matches the breed description, with a flatter face. Loki and Bragi definitely have more pointed faces, which doesn't match the breed standard at all. Would that fall under false dwarf?

The only Holland I can compare them to is Týr, who is only 10 weeks old, so I won't know if they're bigger than his adult size for awhile, but at this point I'm pretty much assuming they are.

It would help to know how old they are and what their weights are. The first two look like they’re possibly mini lop, depending on their weight.
The older two are 7 months old. I don't have weights on them because they're not inclined to hold still for my scale (imagine that), but I'd estimate a minimum of 4 - 5 pounds each, or 1.8 - 2.2 kilograms. The young one is almost 11 weeks old, and weighs 1 pound, 1.3 oz, or .49 kilogram (he WILL stay still for the scale).

Their breed doesn't matter so much...I love them no matter what...but I am curious.

When I got Loki and Bragi, I was told they are Holland lops, but their faces are longer, not flat. Týr came from a different breeder, also supposed to be Holland lop, but he more fits the description, so I'm wondering now if my first two are mixes?
i think the guy in the second picture is a holland lop for sure the other two look like mini lops, very similar but they don't have the flat faces and there ears tend to be longer and less wide. They could also be another type of lop, im just more familiar with holland lops and mini lops :)

They look like a French lop or French lop holland lop

Attachments

• 0F4DF3D8-7305-437B-AEA0-CCB00FF94C58.png
    0F4DF3D8-7305-437B-AEA0-CCB00FF94C58.png
    6.4 MB · Views: 0
Back