Rabbit of the Month - Spud

Rabbits Online > Pet Rabbit Discussion > General Rabbit Discussion > Bunny pseudoparasite found in dog stool

Old 10-02-2005, 11:58 AM   #1
ruka

This past Tuesday, my dog Biscuit had blood inhis stools. I thought he had another case of colitis (inflammation ofthe colon), but there was more blood in it than last time. Thishappened on Tuesday and Wednesday. After, that he was finebutI still scheduled an appointment for him, Friday being theearliest.

So his temperature was fine, everything looked fine, except for hisstool sample. The doctor found mites (the kind that are commonly foundin dry dog/cat food. I checked his dog food and there are no mites andit doesn't smell rancid. I placed his food in the freezer so it killsanything that's in there.) Another thing the doctor found was a type ofpseudoparasite (I can't remember the name) that is commonly found inrabbits. He said throughout his practice, he has never seen or heard ofa dog with this kind of parasite. The doctor thinks Biscuit might havegotten into some bunny poop in order to get this. He says it shouldn'taffect Biscuit. Since Wednesday, Biscuit has been fine, but is on aspecial canned food to help cleanse his intestines.

I was wondering in anyone else had this problem before, or with anyother pets. I searched for "rabbit pseudoparasites" on Google, buthaven't found anything. Thanks a bunch!

Old 10-02-2005, 02:34 PM   #2

Hi Ruka :

How strange , I have neverheard of a Pseudo parasite before butlooked up the meaning and it cameback this .

pseudo : ( adj ) Not Genuine : not authentic or sincere, in spite of appearances.

so I am trying to figure outjust what your vet meant? Did he give You aspecific name for the parasite? or any idea other than comingfrom rabbit poop ?

Old 10-02-2005, 02:39 PM   #3
edwinf8936

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Never heard of that.

Ed

Old 10-02-2005, 10:33 PM   #4
pamnock
Retired Moderator

Liked 42 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 3

You'd need to call the vet and get the name ofthe parasite. Pinworms and coccidiosis (perhaps the vet said"protozoan"parasite??)are very common in rabbits.

Pam

Pam

nockrabbits.com

Old 10-03-2005, 01:44 AM   #5

Ah that would make so much more sense Pam thanks .

Old 10-03-2005, 03:24 AM   #6
ruka

The doctor told me the name of thepseudoparasite, but I don't remember the name. He said it's a parasitefound in rabbit intestines, but it doesn't do anything, hence the namepseudo meaning fake. The parasite doesn't harm of rabbits. He saidthey're just there. I'll give him a call tomorrow to find out the nameof it. The clinic is closed on Sundays. I'll let you guys know ASAP.Thanks.

Old 10-03-2005, 03:40 AM   #7
pamnock
Retired Moderator

Liked 42 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 3

He was probably referring to intestinalcoccidiosis, commonly found in the intestines of rabbits and generallyonly a health threat when the rabbit's immune system is weakened.

However, coccidiosis is not a "pseudo" (fake) parasite. Itlives off and destroys tissues of the host, although in small numbers,the damage may not be noticed.

Pam

Pam

nockrabbits.com

Old 10-03-2005, 06:05 AM   #8
naturestee
Retired Moderator

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I thought pinworms were more or less harmless inlow levels. That's if I'm remembering a past postcorrectly. Hmm. Could he be referring to that?

I don't get the "pseudo" though. I've heard of parasitoid insects but not pseudoparasitic intestinal creatures.

Old 10-03-2005, 01:06 PM   #9

pseudoparasite(pseu·do·par·a·site)(soo²do-par¢[schwa]-s[imacr]t)anyobject resembling or mistaken for a parasite.

taken from :

http://www.merckmedicus.com/pp/us/hc.../dmd-p-079.htm

From what I am finding if this is a fake parasiteit shouldnt be of concern . Or it issomething other than what they told you. Let us kow what theVet says exactlly and wecan do a search and have a betterunderstanding .

Old 10-06-2005, 01:30 PM   #10
ruka

Well, I tried to check with Biscuit's vet, buthe's on vacation! I talked to Dr. Iwa****a's partner, Dr.Zane and he says he has no idea what it is. (The last time he observeda rabbit was in vet school. The clinic doesn't practice rabbits.) Buthe read the report and it says a pseudoparasite (no name given) and/oryeast-like thing was found. Gosh, if only I knew the name! So, now I'mnot sure if the pseudoparasite is a type of yeast or just some otherkind of yeast was found. Gosh, animals are so confusing! (And so arevets!)