Bonding Question - Age

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TobyBun

Reaction score
Hi There - its been a while since i used forums!

I have a Mini Lop male named Finn (neutered), that recently lost his sister, Patience. When I say recently I mean only a couple of weeks ago, which was really upsetting for me as I believe this was the result of neglect from the boarding place that had my rabbits over Christmas. Finn also needed an operation to have his 4 front teeth removed which he is recovering from very nicely. Finn is 6 months and I am planning on getting him a new friend. The death of his sister hasn't effected him at all — in fact he doesn’t appear to be bothered. But i am conscious that if i leave it too long that bonding may become harder.

My question is, should I stick to a rabbit of his age (6 months)? Or can i go younger or older? I am experienced with rabbits but not so much around bonding as I have always had single older buns. But as a change since my last oldie passed away i went for 2 babies - now left with 1. Finn is very good about roaming around my flat and using his double tear hutch as the toilet (although i do not leave him out when I am not around). So i hope if i get another one this wont change and i hope the female would also be as clean (spayed)!

I guess my main confusion is age. If i get a baby bunny I feel bonding might be easier but Finn would be bigger and as his still young he is very active and I worry he would hurt her. If I get a doe his age and un spayed I would need to keep them separate until she had been spayed. The only Doe’s I have seen that are already spayed are much older then he is. There are rescues but I am trying to consider all options.

I have a double tear indoor hutch and large dog create so I have separate accommodation if needed. But ideally id want to get them bonded asap so they have more space. I was going to get my buns a bespoke indoor pen but with Finns issues I have had to get him well first and wait until the Summer. His cost me 3 thousand in only 6 months lol.

Obviously Finn is still gaining weight from his dental issues but healing nicely. There is a Lionhead Doe, that is 8 months that I am due to see. She currently has a litter and so she wont be ready until Feb which is perfect for me. She's the right age, the right size (i believe), but she will need spaying first. I only worry that a Doe thats already had a litter may be more "feisty". Its a really funny age to pair for, as his not a baby but not an adult either!

Thanks

Ideally you should let Finn meet some spayed females and let him choose his bondmate. If you get a young and intact female, the real risk is that they will not bond. What then? Would you just continue to house two rabbits totally separate? It doesn't sound like that is what you are after.

It really is best to allow Finn to choose among spayed females. Otherwise, you risk ending up with two rabbits that won't bond.

Any female that is under or about 3 years is still (imo) in the ballpark age-wise.

Ideally you should let Finn meet some spayed females and let him choose his bondmate. If you get a young and intact female, the real risk is that they will not bond. What then? Would you just continue to house two rabbits totally separate? It doesn't sound like that is what you are after.

It really is best to allow Finn to choose among spayed females. Otherwise, you risk ending up with two rabbits that won't bond.

Any female that is under or about 3 years is still (imo) in the ballpark age-wise.

That would be ideal, but I cannot rescue as my indoor pen is 3ft x 5ft (maybe a bit bigger) just under what they allow. Finn is mostly free range but until the new bun is house broken they will need a pen and run.

Age doesn't necessarily matter that much in terms of bonding. I bonded a 10 year old neutered male with a 6 month old spayed female-- love at first sight! She, of course, out lived him (she's still alive, unfortunately he passed away a couple of years ago), but they had a very happy couple of years together! I tried to re-bond her, but she hates my current male (also neutered of course), who is about 2.5 years younger than she. (All of my buns are death row list buns from shelters, so it's hard for me to be picky).

Age doesn't necessarily matter that much in terms of bonding. I bonded a 10 year old neutered male with a 6 month old spayed female-- love at first sight! She, of course, out lived him (she's still alive, unfortunately he passed away a couple of years ago), but they had a very happy couple of years together! I tried to re-bond her, but she hates my current male (also neutered of course), who is about 2.5 years younger than she. (All of my buns are death row list buns from shelters, so it's hard for me to be picky).

Thanks! There is always a worry with that kind of gap though -- but its always good to know! Do you think I should try and bond him sooner rather then later? I was going to leave it until summer when there was more choice, but then i would probably need a couple of months bond time on top of that. I have contacted a rescue as well but I am not sure. Until the new one has been spayed / bonded she will have to be confined and use a run away from Finn.

That would be ideal, but I cannot rescue as my indoor pen is 3ft x 5ft (maybe a bit bigger) just under what they allow. Finn is mostly free range but until the new bun is house broken they will need a pen and run.

Thanks! There is always a worry with that kind of gap though -- but its always good to know! Do you think I should try and bond him sooner rather then later? I was going to leave it until summer when there was more choice, but then i would probably need a couple of months bond time on top of that. I have contacted a rescue as well but I am not sure. Until the new one has been spayed / bonded she will have to be confined and use a run away from Finn.

The idea of getting an already-spayed girl is to be sure you end up with an actual bond. That is what the rescue will do -- ensure you wind up with an actual bond. You do realize, yes?, that not all rabbits bond??

The point of going through a rescue is to be sure that the chosen girl is already spayed and will actually bond with your boy. They should begin the bonding process from the very moment you bring her home. There should not be any waiting time. Choose a spayed girl. Begin the bonding process immediately. If things don't work, she is exchanged for a different spayed girl until a compatible mate is found.

I'm also confused on the pen cage size issue. A pen can become huge by making use of an existing wall. I'll attach a photo showing how a normal size pen can create a space over 30 square feet.

sams x pen.jpg

The idea of getting an already-spayed girl is to be sure you end up with an actual bond. That is what the rescue will do -- ensure you wind up with an actual bond. You do realize, yes?, that not all rabbits bond??

The point of going through a rescue is to be sure that the chosen girl is already spayed and will actually bond with your boy. They should begin the bonding process from the very moment you bring her home. There should not be any waiting time. Choose a spayed girl. Begin the bonding process immediately. If things don't work, she is exchanged for a different spayed girl until a compatible mate is found.

I'm also confused on the pen cage size issue. A pen can become huge by making use of an existing wall. I'll attach a photo showing how a normal size pen can create a space over 30 square feet.

Thats all very well if you have the space :)

I am going to be getting a proper pen which is much cleaner and safer for the rabbits. I do have NIC grids but they are not very stable, look awful and not very clean.

Actually the size I am looking is a decent space and the rabbits will be partly free range when I am home. Remember flats are smaller in the UK :)

I do understand, as I am pretty experienced with rabbits -- just not with bonding as I have always taken older single rabbits.

Like what I am getting

Ruthpen.jpg

should i bond my 7 month old spayed female to my 5 year old neutered male? or should i wait for my 7 month old bunny to get older?

Thats all very well if you have the space :)

I am going to be getting a proper pen which is much cleaner and safer for the rabbits. I do have NIC grids but they are not very stable, look awful and not very clean.

Actually the size I am looking is a decent space and the rabbits will be partly free range when I am home. Remember flats are smaller in the UK :)

I do understand, as I am pretty experienced with rabbits -- just not with bonding as I have always taken older single rabbits.

Like what I am getting

View attachment 19691

you could bond with a younger one as those seem to do better, but do get a female as if you get a male the bond rate drops significantly.

should i bond my 7 month old spayed female to my 5 year old neutered male? or should i wait for my 7 month old bunny to get older?
no that is a good age just be really careful because they are young, if they do bond they will last forever but if not it will make it super tough in the future.

As long as she has been spayed (at least a couple weeks post surgery) then you can begin bonding. The approach you decide to take is up to you. Some begin by having them live in side-by-side cages for awhile before beginning bonding sessions. Some may begin by jumping right into regular bonding sessions on a daily basis. Others will go with the immersion method (or so I call it).

You can check here for more about bonding.

Latest posts

Back