What's the best way to clean a bunnies cage?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jigzitta

.::Call me Jigzy::.
Reaction score
I mean do you really wanna use Pinesol to clean the cage? That may make the bunny sick. It's what one of my roommate's suggested, but I don't think I wanna do that. My bunnies cage is really dirty though. So what should I clean it out with and how should I go about doing that?

White vinegar.

White vinegar is great for breaking down urine build up. That also works great for litter box cleanings.

Cages vary so greatly though. Can be wood, plastic, metal or a combination. Can you post a photo of your usual cage setup? That might make suggestions more relevant.

White vinegar and water mixture is what I use to clean the cages of my 3 buns and 3 guinea pigs. It is the safest option.

If the cage is really dirty you should be cleaning it more often. But I agree with the vinegar and just scrub it with a sponge or those little wire scrubber things. Make sure to rinse well.

Simple hot soap water.
Vingar may help covering smells, but you'll have to use it quite concentrated to actually clean something.

Any dish detergent will do. Rinse everything.

Actually, just clean water and a brush will do perfectly. I have wooden outdoor hutches, and that's what I do, no problem whatsoever.

Simple hot soap water.
Vingar may help covering smells, but you'll have to use it quite concentrated to actually clean something.

Any dish detergent will do. Rinse everything.

Actually, just clean water and a brush will do perfectly. I have wooden outdoor hutches, and that's what I do, no problem whatsoever.

We don't use vinegar because it covers smells, but because it disolves limescale - it will build up after a while, especially on plastic litterboxes. Vinegar doesn't need to be particulary concentrated to work. It's used by a lot of people to clean their houses or even toilet bowls, it's cheaper than dish detergent, it doesn't pollute the environment, you don't have any risk of poisoning your rabbit and it's really effective. I've been using the same litterbox for 8 years, I've only ever cleaning it by leaving vinegar in it for one hour before rinsing whenever I clean the rabbits' cage and it's almost as good as new.

ok, we can settle on that vingar actually does something, and actually doesn't hurt in any way.

A 5% solution will take quite some time to work. Anyway, limestone in plastic litter boxes - let it get thick enough and you can knock it out, doesn't do any harm while building up.

I guess this is a thing where everyone needs to find his preferences, so just try it.

Vinegar is the natural nemesis of urine deposits. My 2 litter pans look new after 2 years of use. It dissolves all deposits in just a few minutes {4-5}, no scrubbing needed.
My bunny is free roaming, but I have had 8 Cavies {Guinea Pigs} in my lifetime, and I used vinegar on her 1 cubic meter cage, never detergents.
Vinegar is not just to mask odor. It is a safe natural cleaner.

I just use pet spray that you can get from pet set home or your local pet store. It does the job and is pet-safe.

I have one rabbit only but have two litter boxes. One for his night cage and one for being out during the day.

I prefer to clean my rabbits litter boxes on a daily basis and use white vinegar once a month to clean his night cage.
This is only because I don't want to disrupt my rabbits "ownership of his cage".

Latest posts

Back