Boy or girl?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boy or Girl?

• Boy

• Girl

Results are only viewable after voting.

Tateopotatoe

Reaction score
I found a rabbit in the middle of the road and decided to take it in. I already have a female rabbit, and although the new one has a home soon, I'd like them to meet just so Cleo (my rabbit) has some experience with others. I'm having a hard time sexing the new one. I believe he is a boy, but there are no visible testicles. Maybe they haven't descended yet? If not, could the two bunnies still meet without having babies. And before you say it, yes I am planning on getting Cleo spayed, she just turned old enough so plans are in the making. Thanks in advance! It won't let me post the photo, let me try posting it in the reply.

Rabbits are not easy to sex, especially with a photo. In any case I strongly advise you against putting those rabbits together. Rabbits aren't dogs, doing a meet and greet with no purpose is not a good idea. They don't like new experience, new rabbits, new people, new places or new nothing. It's worth it to change their habits if it's to improve their life in the long term (like introducing rabbits to pair them up) but it's best to avoid stressing them out for no reason.
If it's indeed a male, they could mate an you could find yourself with a pregnant doe (with all the risks that entails for your doe). Your rabbit might also not be very amenable to the male's advances and it might end up badly. If it's a doe, two does will tend to fight as does are generally really territorial and don't take kindly to strange rabbits entering their territory. If they unexpectedly do like each other at first sight, separating them after making them bond is just cruel and you apparently have no intention of keeping the rabbit you've found. And if they don't like each other, they could fight and seriously hurt each other before you have the time to intervene. Besides, I'm gonna guess you didn't quarantine the new bunny. Considering you've found this rabbit outside, he or she could carry all kind of illnesses you don't know about and some things are really contagious. I know someone who gave pasteurella to her rabbit this way (the rabbit ended up dying and left a very costly bill at the vet). I really wouldn't risk it. If you want to pair your bunny with another, that's great. But find a neutered male, already quarantined, after spaying your female (considering you are planning to do it) and introduce them correctly.

:yeahthat::yeahthat:

Aki covered everything I was thinking of... Not good to introduce rabbits unless planning to bond them. No benefit to "testing the waters" --especially with an intact doe as her behavior won't indicate anything. New rabbit hasn't been quarantined.

If you do want to eventually get Cleo a partner (which is highly recommended!) bonding with a new bunny can be extremely difficult and fraught with hazards. For instance, when doing an actual meet-and-greet to check potential partners, the buns must be separated from each other with no chance of contact, because the best possible outcome for two strange rabbits meeting for the first time is that they completely ignore each other. And that's a good sign, because the alternative is trying to rip each other's faces off.

Bunnies make associations very strongly, and once there has been an incident of violence, it's extremely hard for them to forgive each other. I had Picca and Delilah living peaceably together, not exactly bosom buddies but housed together without issue. They got in one massive, fur-flying fight one day and despised each other until the day Picca died.

One thing I would definitely recommend is that you search for a local rabbit rescue; my local rescue and several others I've heard of often offer matchmaking services through their foster homes. Foster parents are very experienced in safely integrating a new rabbit with one or more established rabbits. You give your rabbit to a foster home for a while, the foster matchmakes and bonds your bunny to whichever bunny is most suitable to them, and once they are happily bonded, you bring your bunny and their new lifelong bond mate home.

So many people just go out and get a new rabbit and figure that it'll be fine... and then end up with two rabbits that have to be housed separately when they can't stand each other.

Latest posts

Back