Best age to fix

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Transhyena

Reaction score
Hello everyone I have a male giant chinchilla buck who's a year and a bit and he's in perfect health
I'm wondering if I should fix him asap or wait another year like you would with a dog. He's not spraying humping growing etc :) I waited a year because he came from a fur farm and was terribly feral and I wanted him to be tame and friendly for vets n such to Handle :)

IMG_0250.JPG

IMG_0249.jpg

IMG_0248.JPG

IMG_0246.jpg

IMG_0245.JPG

IMG_0244.JPG

He's SUPER cute!! Giant rabbit breeds are done growing at 1 year for the most part and can be safely neutered (giant dogs are still growing at that age!). If he's not humping or spraying or being horrible, it's no hurry to neuter (unlike spaying, which is much more important in rabbits)- but I like to have it done to prevent future issues (behavioral or health).

Also- as someone who works in the veterinary field- THANK YOU for working with him! It makes it so much easier and safer for him at the vet.

You don't have to wait like you would have for a dog. Your rabbit is an adult, physically and mentally speaking. Like RavenousDragon said, there is not the same hurry for males as you don't have the clock cancer ticking the way you do when it comes to females. Nevertheless, for my part, I like to neuter when the rabbit is at the peak of their health (so that would be now for your buck) because even if neutering is a safe operation, an operation is still an operation and I prefer to do it with a young super healthy animal to give them the best chances to make it through and recovering fast (generally my bucks have been perfectly fine 24h after the operation). Also, I prefer not to wait too much because I hate to make my animals go through operations and I'm glad when it's behind us ^^.

I would feel terrible bringing a feral rabbits ti a vet there kicks hurt ��ALOT especially his big arse back feet they are like the size of my hands! And yeah if he was a doe he would have been done quickly (to be honest the farm lady said he was a doe) and yeah I'll be getting him done soon hopefully before it snows cause I hate driving around in snow

If he's not displaying any unwanted hormonal behaviors and you don't have plans to bond him with another bun, I agree that there's really no hurry to have to get him fixed any time soon. In fact I would probably be inclined to not have it done at all. Like Aki mentioned, reproductive cancer isn't the same risk for males like it is for females. It's possible but rare. And with any surgery there are always risks involved, even for a simple neuter. So if there's nothing pressing the need for a neuter to be done(hormonal behaviors, bonding needs), I wouldn't see any need to go through the possible risk or expense. Plus there is also some risk of a neuter causing unwanted behavioral changes. It doesn't happen often, but it can happen, so you should be aware of the possibility.

Though if you do plan on bonding him with another bun at some point, then you would need to get him neutered beforehand.

I definitely agree he's adorable! It's cute to see him hanging out with your dog.

No there's no plans to get him a friend as he thinks he's a dog and has not been around other rabbits since he came from the FF I probably will alter him soon so he does not get hormonal toward mysef and his dog sister. He is pretty much bonded with her and myself

Latest posts

Back