Vet Transport Question

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Munha

Reaction score
This is probably a really silly question but I will feel more comfortable looking silly than getting it wrong so here goes:

I am taking Esther to the vet for the first time tomorrow. I got a top load carrier to transport her. I've got a 35-45 minute trip each way plus the wait time/time with the vet. I was planning to just put a towel or small blanket in for her to rest on but am curious - do you transport your bunnies with hay, water, etc.? I don't think the time we're away from home will be long enough to create any issues for her but I want to confirm with people who know more than I do before I create any GI issues.

Thanks for your guidance in advance!

I dont now but it used to be a long trip with our old vet and id through a small handful of hay. They dont really eat in transit but he would munch in the waiting room. He almost always ends up peeing in his carrier though. Idk if its nerves or the long appointment time

I use a pet carrier for cats (I've got two bunnies and I want them to be able to lie down side by side). I put a piece of carpeting on the floor to avoid them slipping and lots of hay. It's in case they want to nibble on something, but also because I think maybe it protect them a bit from the outside (helps keep warm and that way, it smells familiar and hides a bit the stench from the outside). My rabbits have never peed in their carrier, and they generally don't poop either not even during 4 hours trip. Maybe I'm overdoing it, but hey, it can't hurt ^^.

I put down a puppy pad, then throw in some bedding and hay. I toss in a few pellets as well for them to eat if they want.

They have issues with the puppy pad and traction, so I really need to be doing what Aki's doing with the carpeting.

I transport via carrier like Blue eyes carrier but mine are cream color and purple. I use straw and take water bottle incase i need it. No food dont need to over stress the stomach and intestins while there stressing from transport to vets and vet visit.

Latest posts

Back