Carrot Tops and Green Leaf Lettuce

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Jesse

Reaction score
My bunnies love both and could eat them forever. They get green leaf daily and carrot tops about once every 2 weeks. My question is can they get too much of each? They do get a good helping and would eat those vegetable leaves instead of their pellets. But I do not want to over feed them if it is a health concern.

If a rabbit is getting unlimited hay and very limited pellets, they should receive 2-4 cups of fresh greens daily.

The bulk of an adult rabbit's diet should be hay, followed by greens. Pellets should just be a tiny part of their diet. Some even skip the pellets altogether (but that requires offering a calculated variety of greens to ensure they get all the nutrients).

My rabbits are adults. The bulk of their diet is hay. I buy 6 bales of hay each year for 3 rabbits. They also get 1/4 cup of Martin's Adult pellets (less Protein) per day and a thumb size of carrot and a thin slice of apple. Occasionally the get parsley and the carrot tops. The latter are not easy to come by but my neighbour goes to the farm every few weeks and brings me a bag full.
My late rabbit Sedgewick lived to be 13 years and 3 months and he would not touch hay. He had pet store pellets, shredded carrot and shredded apple.

Some rabbits are sturdier than others. It's like when you meet people who tell you their great uncle lived 100 years while smoking a pack of cigarettes a day and drinking heavily. It happens. If Aki goes without eating as much hay as usual for 48h she'll go into stasis. Everytime without fail. Most rabbits also get horrible teeth problems if they go without hay. Your previous rabbit was super lucky and had genes of steel, I guess.
Still, what Blue eyes said is completely correct. Carrot and apples aren't things a rabbit should eat everyday and they don't count as a vegetable portion, they are treats. A rabbit should eat about 8% of his body weight in vegetables everyday, with at least 4 different vegetables (changing with the seasons, obviously) and about 2/3 of leafy greens and 1/3 of hard vegetables. Pellets should be around 2 to 3% of the rabbit's body weight. To answer your original question, rabbits can (should) eat some lettuce every day. Batavia, chicory, curly endives are all staple foods. Carrot tops are a lot better than the carrot in itself but should be given more sparingly than some other leafy greens because they have a lot of calcium in them (same : some rabbits will get bladder stones and UTI really easily, that's not a problem I've ever encountered with my rabbits but I know people who have to be really careful with the calcium thing).

I understand the "rules and regulations" regarding rabbit diets. I have owned rabbits for almost 25 years. As my rabbits seem to love carrot tops, parsley and green leaf lettuce very much I was just hoping I had not gone overboard with feeding these items.
I give my rabbits a piece of carrot about 1" long and 1/2" in diameter daily and the apple is the size of a quarter. I have also given my late rabbit a thin slice of banana to hold his pro-biotic. That was recommended by a very savvy rabbit vet.
The rabbits get plenty of hay daily. As mentioned I go through 6 bales of hay at least each 12 months for the 3 rabbits.

My question is can they get too much of each? They do get a good helping and would eat those vegetable leaves instead of their pellets. But I do not want to over feed them if it is a health concern.

The 2-4 cups of daily greens I mentioned in my first reply is what can be your guide to see that they don't get "too much."

That came from this article:

Once pellets have been reduced, it is equally important to make sure that fresh grass hay is available to the rabbit at all times, and that fresh vegetables be given in larger amounts than has previously been recommended (up to 2-4 cups a day). Actually, because of the problems usually associated with the overfeeding of pellets, some rabbits do better if they receive no pellets at all. Instead, they eat several cups of fresh veggies a day and all the grass hay they want. Other rabbits still eat pellets, but receive significantly less than the above amounts, with a corresponding increase in the amount of vegetables offered.

http://rabbit.org/natural-nutrition-part-ii-pellets-and-veggies-2/

Latest posts

Back