Rabbit happier with companion??

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lauren8165

Lauren & Buns
Reaction score
I am wondering if my rabbit would be happiest if he had a rabbit companion. We have 3 dogs that group together, but aside from us, buns is alone. He is generally a happy boy, but I keep wondering and asking my husband if he would be happiest with a friend.

* I keep hearing pairing isn't an easy feat. I am aware and would be willing to put in the effort if it is best for him.

Our rabbit seems pretty content with just my wife, 5 yr old and myself.

I don't believe rabbits are a herd animal. The wild cottontails I've seen around the neighborhood seem to be loners.

This is a contentious topic that I have found does not seem to have a clear answer! I will watch this one as well as the others that have been posted here recently.

I feel the same way too - I'd go through the months long process if he/they would be happier together.

"So happy togetherrrrrrrrrr ..." ;)

I wasn't aware there were already multiple threads of this topic. I'm sorry. I'm new to all of this. I will check them out.

In my opinion, yes they are happier with their own kind, someone who speaks their language, someone to cuddle with, groom and steal veggies from. Rabbits are smart and social animals. That being said, finding the right mate can be challenging and takes time and patience. But in the end it's all worth it :)

It depends on the rabbit is the answer. Generally I say yes. They are social (wild cottontails in the US are a COMPLETELY different species- that's like comparing lions (social animals) to bobcats (not social animals)). MOST rabbits enjoy having a companion- like people! But some people (and rabbits) prefer to be alone all the time. You could always try a few bondings and if none work- it may not be for your bun.

I can spend time with my rabbits, but I'll never be a bunny or speak rabbit. Rabbits are social creatures and they live in warrens with other bunnies. Wild rabbits don't live alone. A rabbit is also an animal you can't take with you outside so they will spend more time alone than a dog, for example. In my experience most rabbits are the happiest living with a member of the opposite sex and I love nothing more than watching my rabbits cuddling and grooming each other. I don't think I could ever replace that no matter what I do. Last year my doe was very sick and she lost her sight and I'm not sure she would have made it without the support of her bunny friend. BUT it is completely true that each rabbit will have their own character and preference. My doe can't live alone. She just can't. Alone, she can't relax at all, she has repetitive behaviors and she's just sad and lonely. Giving her a husbunny made a huge difference for her. I feel like the buck I have now is happier with a mate, but he would probably do OK alone. I knew someone who owned three rabbits. Two of them were happier together while the third, a doe, hated other rabbits with a passion. I was told on the day they took the other two to the vet for neutering / spaying, she binkied until they went back home, then she grunted and sulked. They never succeeded in making her cohabit with another rabbit. I've known a lot of rabbit owners during the past ten years and I think I can safely say that the case of the rabbit who doesn't like rabbits is not a very common one. But it happens!
I think you have to think about your own situation to decide. The first time I brought a rabbit home, I intended to only have one. But then I thought about all the time I spent outside or in parts of the house she didn't have access to and I felt really bad everytime I leaving her. Getting her a friend seemed right and I think it brightened her life tremendously. But that doesn't mean that some rabbits can't live happily alone if they are given a lot of attention during all of their life. The House rabbit society has some articles about the subject, written by people who have known a lot of bunnies : http://rabbit.org/the-case-for-rabbits-in-the-plural/

That is how I feel. He seems ok without a friend and loves us, but I have a feeling he would be much, much happier if he had another bunny around. I see alot of people talking about how social rabbits are, but my bunny tends to lounge in his bed area and under a dresser in my bedroom. I go under and love on him a ton and he will come out and explore, but something just tells me he should be happier than he is. I have only seen him binky maybe 3-4 times. So, I think I am going t look into getting him a pal. I would love another one as well.

I guess the next step will be to research on pairing and how to go about it. I honestly have no clue, but I know that it's not a simple as getting another bunny and throwing it in the mix.

Thank you for your responses. I really appreciate it.

Honestly, bonding can be a pain in the butt when it's a difficult bond. It can sometimes take months and be pretty stressful. I'm fairly experienced with rabbits and even I've decided that difficult bonds just aren't worth the stress, to me or the rabbits involved. For beginners, it's really probably best to try and find a match that is essentially 'love at first sight'. That means when the rabbits are first introduced to each other, they both seem very interested, relaxed, and happy with the other rabbit around, as opposed to acting quiet, nervous, aggressive, or indifferent.

When you do get that perfect bond, it really is nice to see how happy it can make your bun, snuggling, sharing their salad, mutual grooming. However, if you can't find that perfect match, sometimes it's better to let the rabbit just be single until(and if you can) find the right companion for them. Better to be single and a bit bored and lonely, than be matched up with a partner that they're stressed and miserable with :p

Probably the best way to go about it and see if you can find that perfect companion(or if your bun even wants one) is by finding a shelter/rescue that lets you try bunny dates with already spayed/neutered rabbits. Then you aren't committed to getting or keeping the potential companion unless it works out. Otherwise, in some cases when you have to commit and become the owner of the bunny first before trying a date, the bunnies don't end up getting along so then you are left with two single bunnies to care for instead of a happily bonded pair.

Just be aware that bringing in a new bun, or even just dates with potentials, can sometimes cause issues with litter training habits. It can sometimes lead to a surge of territorial marking at home. Plus there's also to consider the litter training of the new rabbit. I recently bonded in a new bun with my single girl bun, and being an older recently neutered boy bun, he's turned out to be a bit messy compared with her, leaving poop pellets pretty much everywhere he hops, though luckily his peeing in the litter box is a lot better than the beginning.

Is it more likely that they don't get along or is bonding 2 rabbits (with a fair amount of effort involved ) fairly successful?

I am going to look into bunny dates, as that is a big concern. If I got one that didn't work out, I wouldn't want to rehome it, but would become like you said, two single bunnies to care for.

My buns is excellent with peeing in his litter box, but have had soooo much trouble with droppings all over the place. I have to pick up droppings like 4-5 times a day, so I would be ready to pull my hair out if it got any worse lol

Is it more likely that they don't get along or is bonding 2 rabbits (with a fair amount of effort involved ) fairly successful?

I am going to look into bunny dates, as that is a big concern. If I got one that didn't work out, I wouldn't want to rehome it, but would become like you said, two single bunnies to care for.

That's the great thing about rabbit rescues (as opposed to generic shelters). They help you to find a workable bond. They allow those bunny dates to pre-screen for potential compatibility. If it looks promising, you bring a bunny home. It won't take too long to know whether or not it will work.

You stay in contact with the rescue if the bond is difficult and, if needed, you can bring the new bunny back and exchange him for another potential. You don't have to worry about "re-homing" because the bunny gets returned to where it was before with another chance for adoption. Then you get to try a different rabbit.

That sounds amazing. The bunny I have now (my first bunny ever) was found in my neighborhood in someone's backyard. So I will definitely be working with the rescues when I get my second. I am going to reach out to my local rescues as soon as this hurricane passes here in houston. I am flooded in for now unfortunately 😣

Back