Help! My 8yo fed her rabbit a runner bean

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HipHoppy

Reaction score
Bless her she was so proud of herself for finding him something nice and green. We don't usually have runners in the fridge. I managed to take one off him but he did still eat a whole one, he was so quick.

Will he be okay? Adult rabbit.

The only place I found them listed as toxic is here: http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/GI_diseases/Food/Tox/Tox_en.htm but it doesn't seem to be extremely toxic. One bean pod is probably ok, but in most animals (note- I don't actually know about rabbits in this case) the toxicity form beans is bloat. So extrapolating from horses, which are basically just giant rabbits with smaller attitudes :) look for signs of his stomach/ intestines getting too large, diarrhea, etc.

Runner beans aren't toxic. Beans aren't recommended for bunnies in general because they aren't the best for digestion, but your bunny will very probably be alright especially since he didn't eat that much of it. On the bright side, I guess it was a good opportunity to explain to your daughter that she should always check with an adult before feeding something to an animal. The idea that things which are good for us or look like something the animal is usually eating could be harmful isn't always all that clear for children which can end up poisonning their pet with the best intentions (I knew someone whose bunny had been given chocolates, the ones you buy for Christmas... with the nice shiny wrapper which the rabbit ALSO ate, of course - luckily he only had one big stomach ache and survived the ordeal but ****, children always think of things we hadn't foreseen) ^^.

My son, bless him, when he was 2 fed toxic berries to our rabbit. [emoji53] Poor love, he didn't know it was wrong and the berries had fallen into our garden from the neighbours tree.

Latest posts

Back