What breed is she?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trinketd

Reaction score
We were told that Ari (pictured below) is a purebreed lionhead rabbit from her breeders. Clearly, she doesn't look like a baby lionhead. We were showed the pictures of her parent's, and sure enough, they looked like lionheads. Her brothers and sisters came in black, tan, and Californian like her. She doesnt look like a lionhead though. Help? (She is a month old)

IMG_20170722_095329-1.jpg

What breed is she?
We were told that Ari (pictured below) is a purebreed lionhead rabbit from her breeders. Clearly, she doesn't look like a baby lionhead. We were showed the pictures of her parent's, and sure enough, they looked like lionheads. Her brothers and sisters came in black, tan, and Californian like her. She doesnt look like a lionhead though. Help? (She is a month old and has helicopter ears)

IMG_20170722_095329-1.jpg

First, I sure hope the rabbit isn't at your place. At one month old, she should still be with her mother for at least 3 weeks.
Lionhead isn't recognized as a breed in most countries - where I live, there is no such thing as a purebred lionhead. The reason is that lionheads are just the product of angoras mixed with regular rabbits. The babies who had more or less a 'mane' were deemed 'lionheads' and reproduced together, but it is not at all stable : you can't predict if the kits will have long hair / short hair / some kind of mane, or how the 'mane' will turn out. When you look at them, you can find a lot of lionheads who have a real fluffy mane as babies and turn out to have just a few weird long strands as adults (it's what happens to most petshop lionheads, who generally don't look that good as grown ups, at least for those I saw). I once had a rabbit bred from a 'lionhead', he was kind of a lop with a kinda fluffy fur and some of his siblings had more or less of a mane but not all of them. Your bunny is still very young, but she doesn't look very fluffy to me. Actually, she looks just like the rabbit I had did around the same age - so I might be wrong, but I'd say you've got a short-haired rabbit who might have some thicker fur than most as an adult...

I'm not an authority on lionheads, but it is a recognized breed in the US. Do you have a picture of the parents? The mane will appear later, but like the article cited mentions, you can tell if they are single or doubled maned when they're very young.

Latest posts

Back