First bun, where should it come from?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Artzwolf

Reaction score
Rescue, breeder, private rehome? Which of these is the best option for someone who has no idea how to handle behavioral issues?

The nice thing about rescuing an adult is that you get a better idea of their true personality. And with a proper rescue they should be spayed/neutered already.
Babies personalities can still change and grow. You never really know what youre getting.

A rabbit rescue would be my recommendation. These are different than generic shelters.

The advantages of a rabbit rescue... rabbits are vet-checked, fixed (save lots of money!!!), personality assessed, often already litter-trained, have apparent personalities (can't tell with babies), at the easiest age to train (babies are not easiest), and will bond more easily too (though some still take some time).

Your concern was with behavioral issues. Please do not think that rescue rabbits have personality issues. This is not the case. They are usually given up because 1.) they were purchased as babies, hormones kicked in along with hormonal behavior, and rather than spending money to have the bunny fixed, the owner just gave them up. (spays can be quite costly. In my area they run around $250.) OR 2.) they were purchased as a gift for a child without any understanding of their care needs or longevity. The child bores of the rabbit or doesn't want to care for it, so off it goes to a shelter.

The behavioral issues that cause people to give up a rabbit would be hormonal behavior which is corrected with spay or neuter. It is rare for a rabbit to truly have any behavioral issues. For example, rabbits chew. They will chew cords. It is up to the owner to block off any access to cords. They aren't misbehaving by chewing cords. It is a natural behavior. So if cords are accessible, that is the fault of the owner, not the rabbit.

Every one of my rabbits over the past 25+ years has come from a rabbit rescue (with 1 or 2 exceptions). Rabbits like these that are already fixed are ideal for a first-time bunny owner. Their personalities are settled and they are receptive to training.

It is so fun to visit a rescue and choose among their rabbits. While most rescues have lists of their rabbits on their website, I don't believe I've ever gone home with the one I expected. After meeting the individual rabbits, one is sure to catch your eye (and individual rabbits may take a particular liking to you as well).

I agree with the shelter buns- if you can find a rabbit specific rescue (e.g. House Rabbit Society) they will know their rabbits SO well- you will know exactly who you are getting. And most rabbit specific ones offer classes- PERFECT for first time rabbit owners (and for some of us veterans as a refresher!). There is a ton of good information on this site and on the House Rabbit Society website for new bunny owners.

Somewhat of a side note- All of my buns have been shelter bunnies (actually, they were all on euthanasia lists for behavior or health issues) and my one who was going to be euthanized for 'aggression' is so sweet, I bring her to teach children how to do 'vet' work on rabbits. (This was not a rabbit specific rescue, they would have waited for her hormones to die down after her spay to call her aggressive if it were :p).

I def will go through a rescue or shelter.

Has anyone know anything about Rabbit Advocates in Portland, OR?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back