Potential Bee Sting near Scent gland

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paytonjkp

Reaction score
I have a holland lop, Toby, who's turning one in a week. I cleaned his cage on Tuesday and left him in my backyard in his cage fencing (he's usually on my balcony) for the rest of the day, overnight, and all of today and I just came home and noticed he had matted, wet fur on his left cheek. I looked it and there appears to be puss coming out and it has a sort of sour smell to it. It's extremely red and pretty enlarged. The matted fur is beginning to fall out when aggravated. As for Toby himself, he's acting normal and running around. My guess is a bee sting or bug bite of some sort which then may have gotten infected. I'm going to move him inside until I know what it is and how to fix it, besides that any advice would be greatly appreciated I've attached photos please tell me what this may be, if I should take him to the vet or how to heal it. Thank you! View attachment ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1499920052.645105.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1499920069.350126.jpg

Last edited:
It's hard to tell from your pictures, what exactly might be going on. If there is white pus of any sort, this indicates an infection and will need to be treated with the appropriate rabbit safe antibiotic, which you will need a vet to prescribe. So if this is an infection, because it's on his face, the vet will also need to do a thorough dental exam to make sure this isn't due to an infected tooth causing an abscess that has now ruptured externally. Your rabbit may also need to be put on pain meds(likely meloxicam), and you'll need to make sure he continues eating and drinking well or you will also need to start syringe feeding a feeding mix like Oxbow critical care.

I would get an appointment with an experienced rabbit vet right away, so you can find out exactly what it is you might be dealing with and get your bun on the appropriate treatment.
http://rabbit.org/vet-listings/

It's hard to tell from your pictures, what exactly might be going on. If there is white pus of any sort, this indicates an infection and will need to be treated with the appropriate rabbit safe antibiotic, which you will need a vet to prescribe. So if this is an infection, because it's on his face, the vet will also need to do a thorough dental exam to make sure this isn't due to an infected tooth causing an abscess that has now ruptured externally. Your rabbit may also need to be put on pain meds(likely meloxicam), and you'll need to make sure he continues eating and drinking well or you will also need to start syringe feeding a feeding mix like Oxbow critical care.

I would get an appointment with an experienced rabbit vet right away, so you can find out exactly what it is you might be dealing with and get your bun on the appropriate treatment.
http://rabbit.org/vet-listings/

Thank you for your help. I truly appreciate it. I apologize for the terrible quality of the photos as though Toby was not in the mood to be photographed. Lol! Trying to keep things in a good light considering I'm very worried at the moment. The puss is yellow but it's not liquid-like it's more crusty. He's eating pellets, hay, and drinking water completely normally right now. And it doesn't seem like he's in any kind of pain. He even just stood on his hind legs and rubbed his face like he always does throughout the day. So touching himself in that area obviously isn't painful. So I don't think it's causing him any certain pain I just don't want whatever it is to spread or get worse. It's 11 PM where I am, so my plan is to clean whatever this thing is tomorrow morning and apply a diaper rash cream to the affected area and if it isn't showing any slight signs of healing through out the day then I'll take him in to the vet. But he's honestly running around, pooping, eating, and drinking completely normally. In my opinion I thought it was some sort of bite but my roommate, an experienced animal owner, thinks it would be more inflamed if it was any sort of bite. But with all of this being said I think at the moment he's totally fine and I'll reevaluate tomorrow morning! He's been moved inside, safe and sound! :) View attachment ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1499926182.592907.jpg

Latest posts

Back