Another update on Buggs - need advice and/or reassurance

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blwinteler

Reaction score
The infection is not going away. We see the vet Tuesday to determine how he wants to culture it so I can get a cost estimate. We'll culture it next week, when I've got money.

Meanwhile, my buns started fighting yesterday. Buggs seems to be starting it. When I first got him, they fought a little. Groucho was the one starting it because he wanted to be the dominant bunny. Now, I can't have them anywhere near each other. I can't even have one in the cage and one out because they fight thru the bars. So, Buggs, being considerably smaller, is in my larger carrier. I have a cage divider I've used before, but that won't work this time because they'll still manage to fight.

It's weird. They'll snuggle. Groucho will start licking Buggs. Then, Buggs attacks. Do you think I'm right to assume he's in pain? The vet is closed right now until Monday. My car is dead, so I won't even have transportation until Tuesday anyway. I'll keep them apart until then. They can't fight though the carrier doors, so I guess when one is out the other will be in a carrier.

I'm worried sick. I've been crying. A lot. 😢 🐰

When one bun is feeling unwell, that certainly can lead to uncharacteristic fighting and a falling out. I would keep them completely separated with no chance of interacting and fighting(even through bars) if you have hopes of being able to rebond them when Buggs is feeling better. Any continued fighting will make this possibility much more difficult, if not impossible.

He definitely could be experiencing some pain or discomfort. Along with getting him on a more effective antibiotic, if he isn't already on meloxicam, I would want that prescribed as well(min. dosage 0.3-0.6mg/kg, once or twice daily). The vets price can sometimes be jacked up quite a bit, so I usually buy online or get it compounded at the local compounding pharmacy using a suspension with no artificial sweeteners, whenever possible.
http://vgr1.com/metacam/

He's been on meloxicam for months now. I just took him off it, on vet's orders so the culture will be more accurate. I think that might be why it's gotten worse. I am keeping them apart. They don't like it and it is breaking my heart. But it is what I have to do.

Ok, vet did a culture. We'll have the results later this week or early next and have him on more effective meds. He has pain medication again. I hope that helps.

Ok. It's a form of strep. I pick up the antibiotics tomorrow. I did get pain meds when we went for the culture. He is much happier. I got a second cage today so he doesn't have to be in a carrier. Yay for Craigslist! Both bunnies are now more comfortable and happy. Buggs is out running around and being adorable. Groucho is happily getting used to his new bigger cage. I'm more hopeful than I have been lately. Thank you all for your support and well wishes.

Latest posts

Back