Fly Strike - Will My Rabbit Survive? :(

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vetalliance

Reaction score
My rabbit hasn't been eating very much the last couple of days, and I didn't notice any new poop in her cage. She looked fine and well and her ears were up and she was licking me - but I looked at her backside and noticed blood. I begged my parents to let me take her to the vet (but they weren't having it) - but I took her anyway - and the doctor looked at her bum and gave her antibiotics and pain relief.
Then he started shaving her (in order to PREVENT flystrike) but as he started shaving - maggots started coming off her like there was no tomorrow - I had to hold her still while she was shaved and it was absolutely horrible. He sprayed the area with a pesticide and put rabbit spot-on on her back. Gave us the spray to keep and some syringes and feed to get her eating:(
Did I catch it early enough and do you think she'll be OK?!
I feel awful for not spotting the maggots - although the veterinarian didn't notice them when he first looked until he started shaving. My advice to people is really notice your rabbits! :(

(She also lives inside so I was very shocked this happened!)

Right now, the most important think you can do to keep her alive is keep her eating (and pooping). You took her to the vet and got her treated, so you have done everything you can. Whether she survives or not kind of depends on how far the maggots got into her- which may be difficult to tell. The fact that you caught it at all is the important thing- it sounds like you are a good owner and she is very lucky to have you to care for her. Definitely make sure her cage/area stays clean for a while (maybe clean it even every day if you can) to keep the wounds as clean as possible. Keep us updated on how she is doing!!

Latest posts

Back