Ticks!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thumperina

Reaction score
I live in Wichita KS, my rabbits are outdoors during the day, and allowed to free roam in the yard.
I used to be removing ticks from their ears from time to time during summer months. I use comb with metal teeth that was bought when my child had lice long ago, and it works rather well removing tick completely as far as I can judge. My rabbits never had any visible health problems because of ticks.
Today the tick I removed from one of the rabbits was larger than before (about 5mm in size). I can swear that I saw a white dot on the tick but after I soaked her in rubbing alcohol, the white dot is not there. instead, I noticed dents on its back, which tells me it's most likely brown dog tick (not a lone star that has a white dot... but who knows...)
After reading about ticks, I also realized that earlier I was most likely removing nymphs or larvae, not adults.

Should I be concerned? I estimate that the tick was on my rabbit for about 5 hrs, as I didn't see anything suspicious a night before...

Any medicine that would deter ticks? Revolution doesnt help against ticks?

Do they always suck on their ears? Can they be somewhere else on the body? It's easy to see them on ears, but not so easy elsewhere. Ticks I removed over the course of several past summers were always on their ears.

How likely is it for domesticated rabbit to get seriously sick from a tick bite?

I hate summertime!!! Can't decide what the worst...spiders, flies, mosquitoes, ticks... probably alltogether

Here's a decent article about ticks in rabbits in terms of where to look etc. : http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Parasitic/Ticks/Ticks.htm

In terms of disease, pretty much all ticks carry all the same diseases- Tularemia, babesia, hepatozoon, etc. There are a few minor species differences, but in general, assume all ticks carry everything.

Where I live ticks are not that common (yay!) so I'm not sure of the incidence of becoming seriously ill. I would assume it's similar to dogs in the area- the more dogs getting sick the more likely your rabbits will get sick as the diseases transmitted are somewhat similar. However, a local vet (just give them a call- no need for an appointment) should be able to tell you better what she/he sees most commonly.

Latest posts

Back