pasteurella infection??

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lauren8165

Lauren & Buns
Reaction score
Another question to ask about my new bunny (first time bunny owner). Since we've had him, a little over 2 weeks ago, I have noticed a clicking sound when I rub one of his ears at the base. I have looked in it with a flashlight plenty of times and don't see anything that looks like infection or mites, but earlier this afternoon I saw a small white substance in his hair at the base of his ear. He has also had a tiny amount in the corner of his eyes pretty regularly. He does shake his head and groom the affected ear quite a bit, but since I'm a first time rabbit owner, I'm not sure what normal rabbit behavior is for me to even be able notice if something he does isn't normal. I read that sneezing is common with pasteurella infection, but he has sneezed maybe 2 times since we have had him. Could this be the beginning stages?

Since he's already scheduled to see his vet for his neuter/check I would mention it to the vet then. They are VERY good at looking in their ears (so long as they are rabbit savvy) and can culture anything they find if it's a problem. Sneezing only a couple times is normal and pasturella doesn't USUALLY begin around the ears (generally it starts with the nose, but it can start sort of anywhere). I wouldn't jump right to pasturella yet, but the vet should be able to give you a better answer.

Severe cases causes the bunny to sneeze literally like a human who has a cold

You will also notice high amounts of white or light colored yellow discharge around his nose and eyes

Make sure that your bunnies nose isn't moist, if so clean it for him with a dry cotton ball
However if you do notice discharge in his eyes, use over the counter saline and dab it on a cotton ball and clean the discharge from his eyes! Doing so will prevent crusts from forming in his eyes, making it hard to remove and causing the hairs around his eyes to fall out and irritate his skin

As far as appetite, this is tricky because it shouldn't effect his eating habits, however not treating the situation could further complicate things

Please be aware that it is contagious to other bunnies, but if he's had company of other bunnies before the outbreak, chances are that they also have it too. But it doesn't mean that they will also show signs, as some rabbits are more immune than others!
However, separating them won't make much difference!

Go to your vet and get him checked, blood work will help with a variety of others things

Everything I mentioned above will still remain relevant even after going to a vet

Remember if he does have it, their should be no smoking around him, as this could trigger him to start sneezing again, ultimately stressing him!!

Because of such factor, he should have an abundance of constant hay and veggies!! Spoil him correctly, as it will help

He hasn't been sneezing and I haven't seen any of the white stuff in his eyes again since posting this. Now his only symptoms are the wet clicking sounds in his ears, but I don't see any signs of infection or mites. It doesn't seem to cause him pain either. Could it be wax I'm hearing? He does have a vet appointment soom, but is there something I should be trying before then? Oil drops in the ears or anything? Or just wait to see what the vet says?

It's a possibility that it could be wax, or water in his ears! I don't think it's anything to worry about. But I would still advise you to get it checked out, as the moistness in his ears causing the clicking noises could later lead to ear infections!

As far as sneezing, sometimes rabbits sneeze from the powder of the hay (hay carries a lot of dust) and sometimes their eyes get watery from sneezing! Another thing to consider with the sneezing is that your rabbit could potentially have allergies! That's why I mentioned blood work

Just keep an eye on him, but from the description he sounds fine

Also don't put anything in his ears! It could make things worse!

Also one thing I forgot to mention, make sure you go to a rabbit specialized vet in your city!

To find out one who's accredited, go to your local pet store today and try and find a magazine called
"Rabbits USA"
Google it to see how it looks.
When you find it, make sure to go to the vet directory on the magazine,
there you will find a local rabbit accredited vet in your city

Also you can find out by going on to the rabbit house society vet directory online

This last step is important, just because one is a vet, it doesn't mean they specialize in rabbits

Ok I will wait to see what the vet says before I try anything myself. I made him an appointment with the one of the vets that was on bunny buddies website. There is one doctor there that sees rabbits. Is that what you are talking about?

By the way. I love all these tips, because I am learning everything from these websites and the advice I get from y'all. It's all so very helpful.

Latest posts

Back